Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting lowering springs. Most I see advertise that they lower between 1.5"-2". Some lower only 1". Anyways, some local 'oldtimer' told me that I shouldn't lower the Mustang more than 1" as that will interfere with the steering and suspension geometry and I'll need camber plates and all kinds of other things to restore the proper handling and steering geometry. Any feedback?

Also, another issue is what brand do you guys suggest? This will be a weekend warrior so I don't mind a firm ride so I don't want to get a set with the spring rates are lower than stock. And also is it necessary to change the front struts and rear shocks when I put in lowering springs to accomodate the reduced suspension travel?

BTW, it's an 84 5 liter with 5spd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First let me say that you need to get this book called Mustang Preformance 2 handbook by William Mathis....I got this book for about 15 bucks....It has a pic of a sweet 1993 cobra R on it.....anyway you can get ALL the info you need and more for you fox body to present in this book......To get to your questions.....the old timer was right once you slam the stang from anything stock high on down you change the entire suspension geometry.... the lower you drop it the more things need to be upgraded to compensate.....The BEST way izzzz to start by scraping the MacPherson strut system and fabricate a double wishbone system and from ther you pic a ride hight and so forth$$$$....but for me and thousands of other stang owners use as set up something like this------>BBK springs 1.5 drop---kyb,tokio,or koni shocks and struts, Gripp Energy Offset Rack Bushings, BBK end links, and lastly BBK Caster/ Camber Kits.....shop around I think there might be a company that can get you all this in a kit!!! But try to do all this at the same time...... Hope this helps......JAMAL....1988 GT:evil:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
He's right about the lowering too much thing but your best bet is to learn, know, and love the "search" function here. There is a ton of info to wade through.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could someone give me a $ estimate of the costs just of the parts I'll need (I plan to do the labor myself)? I want to stay away from el cheapo parts but I can't afford top of the line either so I'm smack somewhere in the middle. A ballpart estimate would be fine, just so I can figure out if it's doable with my current budget. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YO I looked around and I found what you will need in a kit form....I going to get it my self as well...go to www.brothersperformance.com thaey have a kit for your buget...I would go with the 425.99 kit...it comes with BBK springs,KYB shocks and struts and all the other things you will need for the car to handle right! :evil:

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Or for less than $350 you can get the Bullitt springs and matched struts and shocks and quads from www.gefracing.com very popular upgrade and an incredible bang for the buck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at these parts. BTW, with the $350 gerfacing.com kit, will I need anything else like caster/camber plates?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have not tried the BBK stuff. I personally have the Eibach Pro kit, Maximum Motorsport solid aluminum steering rack bushings, urethane control arm bushings, end links, sway bar bushings, and urethane spring isolators. As far as CC plates go I got the Steeda plates. They are all steel with the metal bushing. Easy setup and look and feel like a quality plate. I do have the SN95 setup for 5 lug so I am sure that changed some stuff up too. As far as handleing you can tell the difference. I have a friend who has a stock suspensioned stang and mine definetley feels like it wants to stay on the road better. These are just my opinions. Decide what you want to do and then get the parts that fit those needs. My springs lowered the car about 1.0 or 1.5 inches all around. It looks nice although I am looking at the Bullit stuff next.

Good Luck,
Eric

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
meowy said:
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at these parts. BTW, with the $350 gerfacing.com kit, will I need anything else like caster/camber plates?
If you lower it any more than about 1" or so, then you'll probably need CC plates, yes. The reason is, if you lower it more, you run out of adjustment on the shock towers in the front end. The CC plates will give you more room to tweak things, and get it aligned correctly. Brand is up to you, but I suggest you get a brand with thick plates to minimize flexing, and spherical bearings. Personally, I run the MM units (maximum motorsports, if you don't know what MM is), but there are other good brands out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts