Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've finished installing the whole NRC/ MM 5lug Cobra brake setup along with some sweet Steeda Ultralite 17*9 wheels a couple of months ago and it is in dire need of lowering.

We're looking at 3" above rubber in back and a 3.5" above in front. It is ridiculous.

I want to lower it but I still want it to be able to hook. I want it tucked in but not rubbing. I'd like to keep my kidneys functional as well.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Ok

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
Just do it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
MM coilovers. I did Ebach 2 inch drop springs and Koni orange struts shocks, it rides like a log wagon, but I like it. If you want comfort and low thats expensive.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MM coilovers. I did Ebach 2 inch drop springs and Koni orange struts shocks, it rides like a log wagon, but I like it. If you want comfort and low thats expensive.
Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I'll just start w springs and CC plates.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
As others have said, shifting to coil-overs up front is the way to go. Just make sure that you properly match the spring rate with good dampers (Koni or Bilstein) and you'll end up with ride quality that is as good as, if not better than, stock, while at the same time giving you improved performance.

In the rear, most of the typical lowering springs don't change the spring rate from stock a whole lot, so ride quality won't be that much firmer. Again, good dampers are key to good ride quality.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I'll add that the stock rubber bushings cause most of the harsh ride, especially if one doesn't loosen the F/R arm fasteners, allow the car to settle to its new ride height, then tighten the arm fasteners to spec. The stock rubber bushings are meant to twist, not rotate in their mounts so if the car is lowered with the fasteners tight, they are approaching max twist and bind (read very harsh ride).

·
Registered
357 Posts
A few years ago there was a guy who literally tried almost all the conventional springs available for the 79-04 chassis cars. He and his wife agreed that the Eibach pro-kit springs always had the best street ride and height.

Coil overs will be a different story.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll add that the stock rubber bushings cause most of the harsh ride, especially if one doesn't loosen the F/R arm fasteners, allow the car to settle to its new ride height, then tighten the arm fasteners to spec. The stock rubber bushings are meant to twist, not rotate in their mounts so if the car is lowered with the fasteners tight, they are approaching max twist and bind (read very harsh ride).
You mean the control arm bushings??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coilovers up front will not only allow you to dial in the ride height, but will improve ride quality due to reduced bind and increased wheel rate ratios...if you choose the correct spring rate and shock valving. Another nice thing is that you have a huge selection of coilover spring rates, and changing them is relatively inexpensive. If going coilover you will need a quality CC plate; preferably made of steel over aluminum, because all of the load is now on the strut mount at the CC plate.

If staying conventional, check out H&R, and of course good struts make a huge difference when it comes to ride quality.

Out back H&R and a LCA with Adjustable spring perch works great. Again, quality shocks matter with ride quality.

Maximum Motorsports has a ton of info on springs rates and options either way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just put the eibach pro kit springs, sway bars, steeda cc plates and koni orange and it is pretty damn smooth over bumps. There is just under an inch of fender gap.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
You mean the control arm bushings??
Yes. The stock rubber bushings front and rear add wheel rate as they articulate until they reach bind at which point wheel rate goes to infinity with the loss of traction. In short, a much more degraded ride quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A few years ago there was a guy who literally tried almost all the conventional springs available for the 79-04 chassis cars. He and his wife agreed that the Eibach pro-kit springs always had the best street ride and height.

Coil overs will be a different story.
I had eibach pro kit with stock rear shocks and 01 Bullitt struts in my 86, it still had comfortable ride. When I installed the 04 cobra IRS, PO had cut one coil off the stock springs. rode even nicer with the cobra bilsteins.

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts