Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay let's see if I can even attempt to explain what I am after here. On the driver's door of my car there used to be this white cylinder on the lower door hinge that came in contact with the flat spring to hold the door open. The other morning I open my door and here a loud pop and on the ground is this cylinder in two pieces. Now the damn door won't stay open and there is metal to metal where the cylinder used to be making an crappy creaking sound. So now I have the annoyance of the door not staying open and the squeaky jalopy door.

Anyone know if you can get the cylinder piece seperately or do I have to buy the whole lower hinge? If needed I can take a pic of what I am talking about at work tomorrow. Frustrating, very frustrating.

Darren

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I know what you are talking about, mine broke on the 95 GT. It is VERY annoying hearing that squeak every time you open the door. I tried to get one from ford, but they only sell it w/ the entire hinge. Let me know if you find a fix, cheaper than a new hinge.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
ahh....I never knew that the door was SUPPOSED to stay open....By the time i got the car....the doors closed on your legs, everytime..and squeaked between applications of WD-40...

HOW can this be fixed?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just e-mailed Shannon at Latemodel Restoration Supply and quized him about this. He has come up with some bizzare stuff in the past for friends so maybe he can bail anyone with this damn problem out.

Is it just me or you would think Ford would have this little piece seperately since it seems a few cars on the road and most of the cars in salvage yards are missing it. What am I thinking? That would take all the fun out of paying for the whole hinge.:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
door probs seem to be happening...the metal spring part broke off of mine the other day...white cylinder is just fine, now door won't stay open, but I don't have to deal with the squeek

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silver5.0,

If worse comes to worse, I will buy a new lower hinge. Just to show I am a sport ya wanna buy the spring? Only half the price of the new hinge. Just joking, at least I still have my sense of humor.

Darren

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Silver5.0 , does it sound like I have the same problem as you? My driver side door always closes , but it doesnt squeek. Where is this spring to look for and does Ford offer it seperate or should I just junk my 89 notch? Thanks. :D :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm not really sure how the little roller is secured to the hinge, but the hinge is welded to the door. The spring piece is on the other half of the hinge, and it bolts to the a pillar.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
dang...that part is for the 1979-93 Mustang....so, I guess my 1994 has some different problem going on?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DSOStang,

Thanks for the information.:joy: I ordered two this morning and should have them by Friday. I will post on how the install goes and the quality.

Darren

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey DSOStang,

Do you, off hand, remember if they have the spring as well? And if so, how much they want for one of those?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I got one of the flat plate hinge springs from PPI last year for a 92 coupe that I had. I don't know if it is on their list. It was around $15.00 new I think and I had my body shop guy do the installation.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Silver5.0, 90lxcp, 89cpe -

If you look inside your door jam, you might find the piece of the plate that broke off. If so, you can weld it back on pretty easily..... When I bought my car, the door wouldn't stay open. I took my door off to replace the hinge pins, and found the broken plate. Welded the **** out of it to make sure it didn't fall off again, and havn't had a problem since. Pretty cheap/easy fix, if you weld or know someone who does. If you can't find the OEM plate, you are kinda screwed. It is pretty thick, and has some funky bends in it (can't be easily replaced with plate stock).

Good luck. It's much nicer when your door doesn't close on your head.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts