Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 Mustang gt. Last night I was driving home and I noticed my voltage gauge was running a little low at 12. Its usually a little above 14. I kept driving and noticed it was a little lower 11. My blinkers started blinking very slowly. Around 9 My wideband and my radio turned off simultaneously. My lights dimmed and finally the engine started cutting out at the bottom of the gauge then died. Tried to start the car and not enough power to turn over the engine but the radio and wideband came back on. Today I had my alternator tested and it was good. I charged the battery and had it tested and it was good. I put the battery back in the car and have been driving it. The volt gauge sits right at 12 and stays there the whole time. I tested the battery with a volt meter and it read 12.50. I started the car and tested the battery while running and it read 12.25. I did this several time with the same results. I checked the battery ground to the motor and its good. Also attached to the battery ground is a smaller wire that runs to the drivers side of the engine bay and is grounded there. Does anyone know where the 6 wires coming out of the alternator go to? Mine are all wrapped up and T a bunch of times. I dont want to cut into the wires if someone could help me out and tell me where they end up. Are there any fuses in line with any of those 6 wires anywhere? Its a stock alternator and a duralast battery. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
388 Posts
It is not the best test in the world,but if the alternator is putting out enough power the car should continue to run.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that and the car instantly died. I drove it afterward for about an hour today and the gauge stayed solid at 11.5 volts the whole time. Is it possible for alternators to go partially bad? Earlier in the day that this started happening I ran through some water. Is it possible for any of the wires or electrical components on the starter to cause my issue? I have removed and cleaned all of the grounds running to the battery and alternator. Thanks again.

· Registered
388 Posts
The starter is separated from the rest of the electrical system through the solenoid.I normally would not sugest just changing parts,but I would put a new alternator on the car.If it does not fix the problem take it back and get a refund.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went and bought a new alternator today. Put it on and no difference. Even lower on the gauge around 11. Out of ideas. Guess I will just have to go through every wire. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
388 Posts
Sorry to not be more of a help.I am not familiar with these charging systems at all.I am thinking maybe the alternator is not getting any excitation voltage.Does your battery light come on,on the dash when you turn the key on without engine running?I am curious myself and will continue to look.Maybe there is a fuse going to the field of the alternator that blew when you went through the water.I am just thinking out loud.Keep us posted.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have been a great help. Its nice to have someone to back up my thoughts and give me new ones. I normally try to do things myself but I am stumped with this one. I am just going to go through and clean every ground I can find. And follow every wire and try to find in line fuses or breaks or anything. If you think of or find anything let me know. Thanks.

· Registered
1,834 Posts
There is a fused link at the Starter solenoid , check to make sure it is not bad .
I had a 91 that had a similar problem , and found the problem was that it had in the past had an alarm system installed , and there is a pink wire behind the instrument cluster that is the exciter wire for the alternator .

Just my experience .

· Registered
500 Posts
There is a fused link at the Starter solenoid , check ro make sure it is not bad .
Ihad a 91 that had a similar problem , and found the problem was that it had in the past had an alarm system installed , and the is a pink wire behind the instrument cluster that is the exciter wire for the alternator .

Just my experience .
I'm having the same exact issue with my 95gt. The car starts fine/runs fine, but the gauge is at the "N" the whole time. I tested the alternator output with my multimeter and even had a store load test it to be sure and it checked out fine both times. This car also had an alarm in it years ago that was taken out, what pink wire are you refering to? Is it under the steering column or actually behind the cluster?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found the problem finally. It was a broken wire below the power junction on the drivers side of the engine bay. It was a two into one splice where after the splice the wire was completely busted in two and the outer coating was split about 3 inches long. It looked like a factory job but who knows. It was definitely old thats why it broke. Thanks for all of everyones help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.