Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on some issues I’m having. I just bought a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 W a few weeks ago and it had been running great but hot. I flushed the cooling system multiple times, replaced the thermostat, added a lower radiator hose spring, and refilled the radiator.

After that I noticed it had a little trouble starting, probably took 3-4 seconds to fire up. Then when turning out of my neighborhood the engine stalled out, but then started right back up. The oil pressure was normal on the gauge and I drove to the gas station about ten minutes away to fill up. When almost there I noticed the oil pressure had dropped considerably and was now barely above the L mark. On my way back the oil pressure stayed either on the low line at idle or just slightly above when accelerating. Once home I got out and heard the lifters ticking so the oil pressure is definitely low. I checked the oil and it was actually a little higher than the full mark.

Ok so there it is. Slow start, engine stall, low oil pressure and lifters ticking. All new things that came about at the same time. Can someone tell me what steps they’d take to diagnose this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There are a pot of things that may be causing the low oil pressure / lifter rattle .
You said the oil was higher than normal and you are using g a stock gauge .
Install a mechanical gauge , and change the oil .
Before changing the oil , see if it smells like gas .
If it smells like gas , and is thin , check floats in your carb ,make sure the needle and seat are intact seating and not flooding your engine .
Gauges in these old cars , well they are not really gauges , just look important.
Need a set of good oil and temp gauges .

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMHO, as mentioned above, verify the OP by using a known good mechanical gauge. Always note the idle pressure and how it rises and falls with RPMs. Over filling is just as bad as under filling.
The reference to "Slow start" and "engine stall" are indicative of other issues. When you state "slow start" do you mean slow cranking, as in a weak battery or lots of cranking to before it fires? Engine stall? Under what conditions? These two conditions are not related to low pressure readings, generally.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
remember that the distributor drives the oil pump, so the first thing you need to do is make sure the distributor is properly seated and locked down. after that check the oil level, i have found when the dip stock no longer reads the oil level it mean you have about three qts in the pan, and the oil pump will start sucking air at that point.

past that point you get to pull the pan and check the pick up screen to make sure it isnt clogged up, and check to make sure the pump is properly tight to the block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts