Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week i put in a new kirban fpr and a electric fuel pressure gauge. everything was fine. wednesday we started on the new fuel pump, had some trouble getting the old one out, but finally got the new one in, a 255 walbro. i was going to run it with the new fuel pump to make sure everything was ok, but while i was putting the new pump in, my friend started pulling stuff off for the s-trim install, so never got to check it. s-trim was finished yesterday, started it up, this was when the problems started.

started it up, normal fuel pressure, it ran for like 2 minutes, sounded cool too :). then it died, we figured it was the blower/computer learning new idle stuff... started it again, then it wouldnt run for longer then a few seconds after that. also noticed really low fuel pressure. figured it was out of gas, since i drained most of it before we started the fuel pump. got new gas, its over 1/4 tank now.

but no matter what the fpr is set at, the fuel pressure never gets over 14-16. and it wont even start now. what happened? bad fuel pump? we made sure to put the pump filter back in the right way, its sitting in the baffle correctly. could it suck itself to the bottom of the tank? the bracket assembly seemed to go in pretty tight. any ideas?

·
Registered
134 Posts
What kind of fuel pressure do you get when you turn just the ignition on, but not start the car? Can you hear the fuel pump prime up? If your not getting 30-40 psi (or whatever you had it set to) when you turn the ignition on i'd say its either the pump or something blocking the line.

-Franklin

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did you check the inertia switch? You might of jarred the car hard enough to pop it up. It should be in your trunk. Should be a hole in the back wall towards the tail lights. Will be a black box with a white switch that pops out like a surge protector. Just push it in.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can hear the pump come on, and now it only shows 14 psi when the ignition is turned on. if you try and start it over and over it gets up to maybe 18. but it wont even start now. the pump sounds kinda weak when it comes on. not a very high pitch sound.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see, the weird thing is that it worked at first... i was talking to my friend again, and this is what happened. it started fine, ran for 1 minute, but the main belt was rubbing, so we went to the store and got a shorter one. put that on, and started it again, it ran for about a minute, we were going to adjust the fuel pressure when it died. and the pressure has been low ever since. could i have gotten a bad pump? what could have gone wrong in the first couple minutes? how can i check the pump? if i check the flow by measuring the output would that tell me if its bad?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you still have the old pump? It'll be a pain in the ass, but if you do try reinstalling that and see if it fixes your problem.

-Franklin

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what im going to do today. put the stock one back in and see if it works. then if that tells me if the new one is bad, i get to return it and do it all over again when i get the new one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted!

-Franklin

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is just a wild guess, but is the battery low on voltage?? Maybe the alternator isn't hooked up correctly, or it has a bad connection and it isn't keeping the battery charged. Running the car for a couple minutes would be enough to drain the battery...just a long shot guess...good luck...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help...but this is another of my mistakes...:rolleyes: because when we took the pump bracket out, with the filler tube still in. i ended up bending the bracket so the pump wasnt seated down in the bottom of the tank. it wasnt under the fuel in the tank, so the car ran dry. hehe, thats what happens when youve never done something before, and it gets real late at night.... its all fine now, just figuring out what i can use for a inlet hose for the s-trim so i can drive to school tomorrow. the dryer flex hose started to melt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts