Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 87' GT with 67,000 miles,all stock except 0ff-road h-pipe,flowmaster catback,and 3.73 gears!!!

Only ran the car 3 times at the track,best was 14.01 98mph with radials!!I've got a 351 and AFR 205's waiting to go in but ran short on cash!!!I still want to have some fun with it this summer,so I need to do some things to the stock power plant till next year when I put the 351 in!!

With the car being speed density what can I do?I have hooker equal lengths,underdrives,electric fan!!Would love to see some mid to low 13's,can I port the heads and intake,maybe add a mild cam,E-303,TF Stage 1,etc???

Not sure what would be a waste of time and what would be worth while!!!

Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No cam. Maybe heads. BUT NOS may be the best bet. You can always enter the world of carbs and kiss your EFI problems goodbye. Carbs don't care what the hell you do.

·
Registered
765 Posts
read my sig... It doesnt take much

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can definitely do a cam. You have to follow certain parameters though. You can change or add anything to a SD system you want. Yes thats right, NOS, Super charger, Turbo charger, heads, intake, stroker, and even 24 # inj. The critical call is with the cam. A common proven combo is a nice set of heads, Crower 15511 cam, 1.6 or 1.7 RR's, any good intake, and NOS or other power adders. Now, if you cant get into the 13's with a nice N/A combo then you need to practise driving. If you cant with a power adder then you need to stop driving.

Obviously you will need bigger fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to tune the combo. It may run a little rich at idle but you can still pass CA smog with a nice Heads/Crower/Intake combo.

SD likes a cam with 115-116 LSA and a duration below 220* @ .050. Since speed density relies on vacuum you need a high lift low duration cam. If not you will get a surging and unstable idle.

I have noticed many MAF guys with erratic idles and $500 drained on new sensors and still problems. Look all over stangnet and you will see that erratic idles are not biased towards SD.

Save yourself the $500 bucks or so for a MAF conversion and get nice N/A combo that should get you into the 12's. Thats just my opinion

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
255lph pump, 1.7's, and a 150 shot.......get it to hook and you'll go deep into the 12's

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
Well, if you want to do it without a power adder for relatively little money and your running the stock lower intake, I'll port the lower for you for $100 + shipping, which has not exceeded $140 total so far and I've shipped all over the midwest and east but not to Cali yet - but will be soon.

You'll be surprised at the difference and you will definately be into the 13s. I have references and pics of my work if your interested.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allot of good advice thanks!!I know N2O is the "cheap and easy" way but I want to go the NA way!!!I plan on porting the lower and the heads myself,but I wasn't sure about the cam!!I can get a used E-303 for $90 shipped,or can the stock cam meet my goals!!!

Next year the car will be carbed with 351W,AFR 205's,solid roller cam by FTI,etc!!You can see why I don't want to spend allot of cash on this year!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You should be well into the 13's with what you have already. Get some good tires and work on the suspension, then get some seat time. My 88 SD coupe ran a 13.4 the first tim eI ever took it to the track. With weight loss and tuning it eventually ran 12.7 @106 with only bolt-ons. The engine was stock save for a CAI, long tubes, pullies, 65mm TB and a set of FMS roller rockers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well when I ran the 14.01 the car only had offroad h-pipe,cat back and 3.73's!!Plus I only got to run it 3 times,last run was the best!!Then I put the car up for this winter,I still have equal length Hookers,underdrives,and electric fan that should get me to 13.70 atleast!I have some M/T slicks to try and after I port the heads and lower intake maybe I'll see low 13's with the stock cam!!!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
EVIL1 said:
Well when I ran the 14.01 the car only had offroad h-pipe,cat back and 3.73's!!Plus I only got to run it 3 times,last run was the best!!Then I put the car up for this winter,I still have equal length Hookers,underdrives,and electric fan that should get me to 13.70 atleast!I have some M/T slicks to try and after I port the heads and lower intake maybe I'll see low 13's with the stock cam!!!
Why would you want to waste all that time and money porting stock heads and intake if your building a new engine? Especially if you only want to run low 13's. Spend that time and money on your suspension/chassis and run low 13's stock and have the car better prepared for the bigger engine. Or is the 351W just a pipe dream?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL,porting the heads and intake isn't going to cost me anything!!I have the Carbide burs,and it wouldn't be the first set of heads I've ported!!Besides I love to work on my car,why wouldn't I want to see how far i can take the stock set up?Not having the money to finish the car with the 351W gives me this opportunity!!

Definitely not a pipe dream,I tried to post pics but can't get the

·
Registered
765 Posts
seems to me like your going to be wasting a lot of money/time... With what you already have you should be able to go deep into the 13's.... Learn to drive and you shouldnt have a problem. Spend your time porting the heads on your new 351 rather than tearing apart the tired 302.....

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
you do not need to port anything to go low 13's.
you certianly do not need a cam.
you don't even need to spend money on your suspension. (well, $40 air bag)
and you don't have to pull weight out of it to go low 13's.

if you are gonna port heads and intake and thro a cam in it, you should be shooting for mid to low 12's.

if you want to tie up money and time on you current combo, only to try and run what it'll run the way it sits, and then turn around and spend money and time on your 351... then... all the power to you.

what do you do for a living? I may consider a career change.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cleanLX said:

what do you do for a living? I may consider a career change.

My whole point is I don't have the money to finish the 351(money is tight I don't think you want my career).Porting the heads and intake on the stock engine would be free because I'm doing it myself!!Why shouldn't I make the car faster for this season since I have all winter to work on it?I don't get it,so all of you would just leave it alone?No doubt more seat time would equal lower ET's but I'm not exactly a Green Horn either!!!

I've never driven nor have I ever seen,in person,someone drive a "mostly" stock GT to low 13's!!Maybe a Coupe or maybe in the pages of MMFF but not at any track I've been at!!I'm sure some people can but they are the exception to the rule!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well each to his own, go ahead and do those, but dont be hoping for a low 13, shoot for 12's I think your car already has enough to run a low 13. Honestly a GT is probibly only a tenth or so slower than a coupe. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldnt think that those side moldings and hatch would slow it down that much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Port those it's free.+ if you don't care to spend some time on your car like me. You could sell them for a few bucks at the end of the summer.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
EVIL1 said:
My whole point is I don't have the money to finish the 351(money is tight I don't think you want my career).Porting the heads and intake on the stock engine would be free because I'm doing it myself!!Why shouldn't I make the car faster for this season since I have all winter to work on it?I don't get it,so all of you would just leave it alone?No doubt more seat time would equal lower ET's but I'm not exactly a Green Horn either!!!

I've never driven nor have I ever seen,in person,someone drive a "mostly" stock GT to low 13's!!Maybe a Coupe or maybe in the pages of MMFF but not at any track I've been at!!I'm sure some people can but they are the exception to the rule!!!
You're making good sense to me. I also agree with your assessment of claimed performance and observed performance. My SD '87 has GT40P heads and intake with the 65mm TB from the same Explorer engine. Non-engine mods include off road H pipe, 355's, and DR's. I ran it only once at the track with this combo (results below). I then re-pulled the heads, ported them, milled them and backcut the valves. I also ported my old E7's just in case I want them at a later time. Cam, and everything else, is stock. I think the E7's can give as much as the P's. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts