Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so today i went out to run a few errands and got done and took my car to a car wash and got done and on the way from driving home, my car started making this weird shrieking noise each time i pushed my clutch in. the car sounded fine after i put it in gear and drove but each time i pushed the clutch in, it would make this noise (like nails on a chalkboard). is it time for a new clutch? HELPPP

·
Registered
263 Posts
yep sound like throwout bearing dry and spinning on the bearing retainer. do you still have the stock retainer on trans if so it would be best to replace it with a retainer

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much should that cost at a shop? im living on campus and can't really do it myself.. should i just go ahead and replace my clutch too? its been 80k miles on the stock clutch

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
When a TOB goes bad, does it only make noise when pushing the clutch pedal, or also when the car is in motion?

Dan, the stock clutch should last you at least 140,000 miles unless you abuse it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
For a temporary fix that has been working in my car for months, take the clutch fork cover off the side of the transmission. I believe it is only one sheet metal screw holding it on. Spray a good quality lubricant oil like number 5 or possibly wd40 on the throwout bearing. Should quiet it down immediately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my bad i forgot what forum i was in .

as far as replacing the clutch it just me i would if going thur the trouble of replacing throwout bearing

the cost could range any where from 150 up plus cost of the clutch maybe able to find someone to do it on the side alot cheaper if you help
try your local auto part store you may find someone at the counter or get you a contact of someone

·
Registered
784 Posts
TOB for sure, same thing with my brothers cobra.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
throw out bearing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think these guys have nailed it. Throughout bearing gets my vote as well.:king:

Now, sit down and get prepared for some major cash outlay.

You are an idiot if you just have the bearing replaced! This requires dropping the transmission!...which requires dropping the exhaust!

Compound that labor and the replacement exhaust that may or may not be required and then add the cost of a complete clutch assembly that should include a resurfaced flywheel.

This is easily going to cost you $1000.:shakehead

I told you to sit down...:blam:

·
Registered
784 Posts
whata heck is that noise trevor?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nope, not ticking. Notice how it stops when I put my foot on the clutch. Even if it were ticking, I think it runs pretty well from the times I have gotten out of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts