Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a EFI 5.0 for the basis of my dream project. I have found several cheap methods of obtaining this engine but I am not sure if it is the same engine in multiple vehicles. So here we go. Thunderbird and mustang engines seem the same but the thunderbird only comes with an auto, will a 5spd bolt up to the tbird's engine(same question for crown vics)? Are 5.0s out of trucks and vans the same as in the cars? Their intake manifolds look different but will engine mods for mustangs fit a truck or van 5.0? Does anyone know the gear ratios for the mustang 5spd, if I remember correctly the first gear is really high, not good for my dream project.
Basically I'm trying to figure out compatibility issues for all the 5.0s that were put in EVERYTHING in the late 80s early 90s.

Thanks for any help and for reading this long post.

Jeff

·
Registered
35,604 Posts
Too much for me to answer - but a couple of things make sense. By "dream project" -- is higher performance than stock what you're after? Is it going in a street car? Race car? Rock crawler?

Assuming you're going to modify for more power/torque - you probably want to go with an H.O. roller motor. The 5.0L's out of the Mustangs and Thunderbird/Cougars are H.0.'s. The trucks, Crown Vics, etc. may or not be rollers depending on the year, so you have to be careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts