Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, to make a long story short some A hole stole my car keys out of a gym locker and it was the only set I had for my car.

I have a 97 Cobra and I think that the 97 Mustang keys are equipped with the PATS (passive anti theft system). I went to the dealer with a key that they cut me a new key. ( The head of the key doesn't look anything like the original key, the new key head is much smaller.) I tried to put it in the ignition and I can't turn the ignition. So, now I have a car that I can't drive.
I told the guys at Ford the problem and they said there's nothing they could do and couldnt even reccommend anything to help me out. :mad:
So, does anyone know a website for a company that can sell me a key and will I even be able to get a key for the car that will actually start it?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Sorta off-topic:
No offense meant, but did you have the car towed yet? It would be unfortunate if the key thief came back to the gym parking lot w/ your keys...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hell yeah- Some ass stole it outta my gym locker. I had the car flat bedded to my house. All I could think of was some one goin to the lot after the gym closed and using the keys to open the only car left in the lot...my car.

I've been looking around at alot of sites and I see my car has a PAT I key, but Ford didnt give me a PAT I ( chipped) key. Im gonna go there tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think the ignition will lock if you don't use a pat key, the car just won't start. Sometimes when a car is towed, pulled onto the trailer, the steering wheel locks over real hard and won't allow the key to turn unless you grab ahold of the steering wheel and give it a good tug in the loose direction while turning the key. Then the wheel will unlock, and your car may start for a few seconds, if the key doesn't have the chip. I am pretty sure that if your car has the pats, and both keys are lost, you have to have the computer reprogrammed by ford, and it is pretty pricey.

Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you can turn the ignition lock cyl you will be able to remove it from the steering colum. If you could get another pats 96/97 ignition lock cylinder with a pats key you can program that key to work in 45 min with no special tools. Where are you located. If you want more info on this give me a call and I can explain it in more detail. I have did this myself and know the pats detail since doing a 97 Cobra engine swap into a 94 body. 96/97 Mustangs are type A pats and only need 1 key for the system to work. (740)983-3864 Later. Dave

·
Registered
371 Posts
On second thought just get a pats key cut then give me a call I will tell you how to make that key work in 45 minutes time. Later. Dave

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
DAVE_308 said:
On second thought just get a pats key cut then give me a call I will tell you how to make that key work in 45 minutes time. Later. Dave
Isn't it just jumping the connector in the trunk by the remote door lock module and putting the key in?

It should only take like a minute to do it I thought.

Also, you're are lucky that it's a 97 and not 98. I have to have two keys to program another. It's easy as pie, but still takes two keys.

You can get another key off Ebay, but not sure you want to wait that long.

A key with the transponder could run you $89 though and it's like $20 off Ebay.

Also....you should call the district on the Ford dealer. They should have a key in stock and know how to program it...although they will charge you $150 to do it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If he has the key that is cut to work the ignition all he needs to do is get a pats key cut and he can program it without paying the bucks to have Ford dealer program it for him. The only cost will be the key itself. And once the new key is programed the old key will no longer start the car another plus. However the doors and trunk will still be able to be opened with the stolen key not a good thing. Good luck on your key venture. Later. Dave

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does the key that you have at least open the door? Maybe it wasn't cut right.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
joey8656 - Any new news to report?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I lost the chip in the head of my key, the car started, but turned off after 2-3 seconds. This happend right after I upgraded my fuel pump, I called the shop who did my fuel pump, the owner came to my house, we tried to start if for over an hour with no luck. He had the car flat-bedded to his shop, replaced the pump(in the gas tank), still wouln't stay on. He left me a message asking if I had a extra key, which I did and took to him(this was all before we knew the chip had fallen out), and it started right up. I actually found the chip in my house, the cat was playing with it. I put it back in the head and topped it off with hot glue. So even without the chip your car should at least start for a couple of seconds. Good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. After Ford told me that I would need to have the car towed to them and then they would need it for a day or two to reprogram it I told them I was getting a locksmith. They told me only Ford could reprogram the computer. I figured that was total BS so I did a search on Yahoo and found a locksmith who did automotive work.

150$ later I have 2 new keys. I also found an old remote form a 98 explorer ( a 4 button one). I just have to figure out how to program it to my car.

The end result of this whole ordeal is I am out about $330 between stolen items and new keys and i cant bring the car to the gym casue whoever stole my keys can just walk up to it and open it and steal what ever I have inside.:mad:

P.S.- I bought a big ass masterlock for my gym locker now- best $5 I've ever spent.:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought I would ask if you checked to see if the gym had a lost and found. I lost a set of keys outside of a building an thought they were long gone since I searched all over the place and convinced myself some little kid was probably playing with them at home. My wife asked at the place about a year later and they said that someone turned in a set a long time ago and that was them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is a good post to remind everyone to have an extra set of keys. Especially the 99+ guys because you need TWO keys to program a new key where 98 and before you only need one PATS key. That is why I went out and bought a third PATS valet key (so I ALWAYS have 2 keys to save me 120 bucks at the dealer for a reprogram) from my local Lincoln/Mercury dealer which only opens the door and works the ignition. The key will not work in the glovebox or trunk so you guys with stereos, guns. etc can lock them up if you take your car in for service or dare to valet the cars.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Mark's 99yellowGT said:
Especially the 99+ guys because you need TWO keys to program a new key where 98 and before you only need one PATS key.
Good reminder...just FYI though, the 98 guys are in the same boat as the 99+...we require 2 keys....at least on the later models. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Drop

Yep, your right, I remember reading that they changed to the two key system part way through the 98 model year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts