Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I am finally going to get rid of the factory 1989 cassette player in my car, and get some modern tunes.

I am not looking for a killer sound system, but something that will give me good quality sound that I can hear with the top down at 75 MPH.

I am looking to keep things visually low key, and do things on a budget.

Here are my wants: Receiver CD player (CD-R compatable), changer, 6 speakers in stock location, maybe a small subwoofer (I still need the trunk).

My budget is under $800 for everything. I was planning on doing the install myself, and had been browsing Crutchfield.

I am thinking a 4X20W or so reciever to power the dash and door speakers with a 50WX2 amp to drive the rear speakers.

Should I go component speakers vs. 2 ways? What are my options for decent bass with factory sized speakers? Who makes a reliable head unit/changer? What amp work well on a budget?

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

1) Head unit. Any of the name brands will work for you. Alpine and Pioneer have been popular here lately. I have a Pioneer -7300 and it works great. The 6400/7400 would fit your description. You could power all interior speakers with it if you want. -6400 is good and will fit your budget pretty well. Visit an audio shop and test several different brands models. You need to find out what you prefer as far as controls and such go.

2) Alpine and Pioneer both have CD changers that can be controlled by the head unit. Choose which ever one plugs right in to the model you choose.

3) I wouldn't amp the rear speakers and power the front speakers with the head unit. If anything, do it the other way around, unless you just go with some heavy-bass woofers for the rears and cut out the highs. You want your primary sound to come from the front of the car.

4) I used Boston Accoustics for my fox interior speakers and Memphis studio components for my 01. I prefer the Memphis, but they run pricey and would probably push you out of your price range, although you could use them and not worry about a sub.

Crutchfield is generally regarded as being a bit overpriced. You can use them to check what fits but make sure to shop around. Hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about my setup you may have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree...go to a local shop and play with whatever headunits they have. See what brands have the features you want and what will fit in your budget. While you're there, listen to as many speakers as you can. Take some music you know well, and see what sounds good to you.

And I definitely agree with the idea of amping the fronts rather than the rears. If it were me, the rears wouldn't be there in the first place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Forgot to mention that you should also take into account all the wiring and sound deadening (if you want it) when figuring your budget.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Tim89LXvert said:
My budget is under $800 for everything. I was planning on doing the install myself, and had been browsing Crutchfield.
I've never done business with them personally, but a friend of mine has. Check www.etronics.com. Open two browsers windows, and compare model to model for prices between them and Crutchfield. :eek:

Wade

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
92 Pony, thanks for the tip... just doing a quick look the prices look very good!:joy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts