Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback, 2003 Mustang GT convertible, 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of restoring a 1990 Mustang LX. My wife found pony center caps that she liked better than the OEM caps with the tri-bar pony emblem. We were able to locate two of the argent painted Scott Drake pony center caps that only have the pony. Come to find, the item has been discontinued.

I've pretty much exhausted all online purchase options. Went to Spring Carlisle this weekend hoping I would come across something, but no luck. I'm not even sure how common these caps were. I'm looking to locate either two, or a full set of these center caps. What's out there?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Is there a Ford part number on the reverse side,

They look like later OE caps with the pony added. See this thread.

Here’s one of the caps for example. Not sure if Scott Drake was just buying an OE Ford cap and trimming the tri bar pony to fit. Would need to do some experimenting.

Part number F4ZC-1A096-CB

Attachments

Reactions: mustanggarage

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Damn I just sold two to a guy in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you find these center caps?
I'm in the process of restoring a 1990 Mustang LX. My wife found pony center caps that she liked better than the OEM caps with the tri-bar pony emblem. We were able to locate two of the argent painted Scott Drake pony center caps that only have the pony. Come to find, the item has been discontinued.

I've pretty much exhausted all online purchase options. Went to Spring Carlisle this weekend hoping I would come across something, but no luck. I'm not even sure how common these caps were. I'm looking to locate either two, or a full set of these center caps. What's out there?
View attachment 1072357

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Weren't the 94/95' PONY wheels star shaped center caps?

You are correct, they were slightly star shaped, but Ford put round caps on other wheels. V6 wheels, the 1998 Spring edition cobra wheels, etc. See post #2.

Still curious if the scott drake caps have a Ford engineering part number on the backside. Might give a clue as to their origins.

·
Registered
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback, 2003 Mustang GT convertible, 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct, they were slightly star shaped, but Ford put round caps on other wheels. V6 wheels, the 1998 Spring edition cobra wheels, etc. See post #2.

Still curious if the scott drake caps have a Ford engineering part number on the backside. Might give a clue as to their origins.
They were on the 17" 3 spoke wheels. No, part number on back isn't a Ford number. The recess looks deeper.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thats right...Forgot about those V6 wheels. Wonder if these would fit and you could just chrome out the Mustangs in the caps?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats right...Forgot about those V6 wheels. Wonder if these would fit and you could just chrome out the Mustangs in the caps?
These are what I currently have on my car since I couldn't find the full set of Scott Drake caps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see. And you only have two of those? hence why youre looking for a complete set of Drake caps with the silver mustang in the middle without the tri bat Foxbody OEM style?
Only two of the Scott Drakes. I have a full set of the other ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a set of DRAKE Pony center caps for 91-93 style. They're chrome caps with COBRA emblem in the middle. Definitely not what you're looking for, but the guy who sold me the wheels had told me DRAKE just bought standard caps and added emblems to match their wheel sets at that time YEARS ago. Maybe your best option is to copy DRAKE? Buy standard argent caps and add silver mustang emblems to them? They wouldn't be recessed but might look better in a 3D type of cap? Ill keep my eyes open if I come across and DRAKE caps. Im in Northern California Bay Area and theres a giant community of FOX body guys with constant classifieds. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.