Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

I am in the market for a 99-up GT mustang.

I had a 99 before, and wasn't really happy with it. It had a perpetually squeaky throwout bearing and a host of other issues.

I have heard that most of these issues have been resolved, however, I was wondering if it would be better to buy a 2000, an 01, or an 02 to get one of the "good ones"?

I know its mostly a subjective thing, but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks a ton

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Consumer Reports gives the 2000 GT pretty good marks for reliabilty in the latest issue. I have 25000 trouble free miles on mine and love it more every day. I wish Consumer Reports wouldn't combine the Cobra in with the GT on testing for reliability. It keeps the Mustang from being perfect.:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I second the 2000. 50,000 trouble free miles here. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hey i have a 99 and have had not one problem except the throwout bearing noise ....and some ****y brakes other than that im on the stock clutch ,plugs ..the 99's are faster anyways bigger throtle body from the factory id say find yourself a bullitt you can get a used one with like 10-15k on it for around 20 k just my opnion

·
Registered
132 Posts
i know how to rid of the abs light ? i think ...ill get back to you tommorow check back

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a 2000 GT and have never had a problem. The car has around 24,000 miles. I would advise you get a '99 or '00 with the Windsor engine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out the bullitt. I bought a 02gt new and traded it after 7k miles for a 01 bullitt. I have seen prices in the 16-19k range. Nothing against gt's, but these cars come with alot of upgrades and for not much more money. I wish I would have driven a bullitt first and not taken a loss on my gt.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
99~00 have the windsor motor.Thicker block webbing.

I had mine since new (95k now).

Squeaky throw out bearing,carrier bearing going out are the only two problems i had since new.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It really depends on your budget. If you have the money I'd go with a newer, lower mileage car. I would avoid 1999 cars, it's hit or miss, some are OK but many seem to have a lot of problems.

I bought a 21 month old '01 GT with 13K miles on it from the original owner. He had special ordered the car so it never even sat on a dealer's lot and it was not his daily driver.

So far no problems, my biggest complaints are seat belt retractors that don't retract all the time, an occasional rattle under the dash and a squeek somewhere in the rear from time to time when on a real bumpy road.

My only other advise is don't rush to buy a car. Take your time and look for a real clean 1 owner car that looks like it hasn't been abused.

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the rattle in the dash is one of the clips that holds the wiper cowl down. Its actually outside of the passenger cabin.

Been there done that, as they say. I just test drove a 00 GT with the squeaky rear end issue taken to the extreme also (not buying that one).

Thanks very much for the advice :)

Steve

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
351CJ said:
It really depends on your budget. If you have the money I'd go with a newer, lower mileage car. I would avoid 1999 cars, it's hit or miss, some are OK but many seem to have a lot of problems.

Where have you read this? ALmost all 99 owners i talk to have no problems out of theirs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts