Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 SVT--
I see you run a ZEX nitrous system. I run a NX (Nitrous Express) system in my 94 Cobra and love it. Am having one problem though. Wondering if you have heard of/seen it before. The extra oil pressure while on the bottle loosens the oil filter to the point of leaking oil and creating smoke. If I let it go it will loosen enough to spray out all engine oil. (Big mess!) The oil filter screws into a huge...bolt, for lack of a better word. Either the filter, or what I am calling a bolt, is coming loose. Is this just a bad part or what? I have had an oil change since the first occurance of this sort and it happened again last night, just not as bad. If I replace the part the filter screws in to will this fix my problem???

Jay

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dude.. I have never had that problem before!! I would guess that it is a problem with the (bolt?) you are talking about, since you say you have had an oil change since, could there be a gasket not seated right?(I had this problem with my jeep) I really dont think the juice has anything to do with increasing your oil pressure, just fuel pressure, so I think that this would happen even if you were running N/A.... Sorry I'm not much help. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVT,
I agree about the oil pressure--it will stay the same on WOT and the bottle so I guess that is not the problem. I have friends who have been racing nitrous Mustangs for 10 years or so now, and they say it is not nitrous related. The only time this symptom has reared its head is during nitrous runs. Tightening the oil filter seems to fix the problem. i'm baffled/scared/curious for now...I'll let you know. BTW, have you raced your car on the bottle yet? What kind of times did you run and on what shot?

Jay

·
Registered
533 Posts
If your oil filter is loose it could be that a gasket is not seating right.... I'm not sure if there is a gasket between the filter and
block but I had this problem with my jeep, I took to the dealer and all but they couldnt figure it out, so I finally changed the oil myself and ran my fingers around the oil filter housing and there was a gasket in there that was folded over on one side, so I replaced it and havent had a problem since. As far as my track times go they suck!! I have only been to the track a couple of times but the best run I had was one of the first a 13.80 @ 104.38 but traction was a serious problem with 2.3X 60 foot times. I am running a 75 shot now but have run the 100 & 125 shots on the street with no traction at all in 1 & 2nd gears, I need to get some drag radials cause these michelin pilots dont hook worth a crap!!

BTW- just PM me if you want help on other stuff, I dont think the corral administrators like it when we use the tech forums for our personal chats. :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some cars just have a tendancy to spin oil filters off. Before you replace anything try this.

Next time you change your filter, Take a couple of dabs of silicone/gasket maker (whatever) and "spot weld"(for lack of a better term) your filter to the part it screws to. Not on the inside on the threads, but on the outside on the filter right where it meets the engine. This should prevent the filter from spinning. After all, it's probably just spinning off from vibration.

·
Registered
144 Posts
streetsnake94 said:
Some cars just have a tendancy to spin oil filters off. Before you replace anything try this.

Next time you change your filter, Take a couple of dabs of silicone/gasket maker (whatever) and "spot weld"(for lack of a better term) your filter to the part it screws to. Not on the inside on the threads, but on the outside on the filter right where it meets the engine. This should prevent the filter from spinning. After all, it's probably just spinning off from vibration.
i would be very careful if you do this though. A piece of silicone gets stuck in an oil journal and your engine is done for. And about the rising oil pressure while on juice. My factory oil guage moves from just above the M to just above the A when I hit the juice and stays there for wuite awhile. So I would say that yes, nitrous is affecting oil pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.