Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking at a 2010 GT500 and was wondering if there is a Shelby registry to find out what options and all would have come on the car from Shelby (or to confirm the options, like stripe delete, etc).

Also, it has a 3.55 axle. How does that run in these cars?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hello, I am looking at a 2010 GT500 and was wondering if there is a Shelby registry to find out what options and all would have come on the car from Shelby (or to confirm the options, like stripe delete, etc).

Also, it has a 3.55 axle. How does that run in these cars?
I'm sure there is something out there but all i know of are the production number documents that show how many vehicles were built with certain options. The 3.55's are good on the highway but are still able to make 1st-2nd just about useless on street tires so it really depends on what you're gonna do with it.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
You can talk to Ford Performance group about a certificate. It'll have the color options listed and the rarity of the car. I think the interior options are going to be pretty obvious. BTW, those weren't built by Shelby, just by Ford. Unless it's a Super Snake.

Also, pretty sure all the 2010 GT500s had 3.55s...right?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe they came with 3.55 std and 3.73 was optional. One of the options I was considering making sure the car had was the SVT Performance Package, which up until 2012 gave the car 3.73 LSD (amongst some other goodies). I guess Ford felt that with the 2013-2014 and the 662hp, the 3.31 is enough and the 3.73 LSD wasn't part of the SVT Performance Package in 2013-2014.
So, I was thinking that the 3.73 LSD with the SVT Performance Package in the 2010-2012 MY cars would make up for some of the 100+ hp difference in the newer 2013-2014 cars.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, I found a local dealer that had a 2014 GT500 convertible that I managed to test drive. Whew, that car is absolutely incredible! :grin2: I have never DRIVEN a supercharged car before and I couldn't get over the power and the whine! >:) Not suprising, there is a huge price difference between the 12's and 13 & 14 cars. The one thing (other than the 100+ hp) that the 13 & 14 cars offer is the Track App's. Man, that is a must with a car with that much power. Probably, not something easy to upgrade a 2012 (or earlier car) to either. So, I am in a quandary now about whether to sell a couple foxes and bite the bullet on a 500 or just Eaton Swap the Marauder (for my mod motor supercharger fix) and carry on with my fox addiction (realizing that the foxes will never be like the 500).....

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
I was a little leery about the plasma coated aluminum engine blocks in the 13+ cars. The coating is mils thick so any engine cylinder damage is likely to require sleeving. My '10 has an upgraded Whipple 2.9L 17 psi blower, so that evens the score on power ;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was a little leery about the plasma coated aluminum engine blocks in the 13+ cars. The coating is mils thick so any engine cylinder damage is likely to require sleeveing. My '10 has an upgraded Lysholm 16 psi blower, so that evens the score on power ;)
Yeah, I saw your sig! That's amazing! 3.73 would definitely be too much! But, the 12 came with an Aluminum block too. Is it the same block as the 13-14? If not, that would make it a one year wonder....:eeek:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
prob the same, come to think of it I might remember '10 was last year for iron blocks?
IIRC, 2010 and 2011 both had the iron block 5.4L 530hp motors and the 2012 had the new "all aluminum" 5.4L 540hp motor. I'm wondering if the block from the 2012 design was used to create the bigger bore 5.8L motor used in 2013 and 2014...

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
2010 was 540 HP, iron block. 2011 and 2012 were 550 HP aluminum blocks.

No performance package option on 2010, that wasn't available until 2011.

2010 had an X-pipe, 2011/2012 had an H-pipe.

Brakes are the same.

I think that's all I can remember right now.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like the 2010 is out. Apparently, a week ago someone did a test drive and lost control and slid into some parked cars and doing damage to the right rear! Besides, that, the dealership is a couple hours away and I can't seem to get much info on the car.

I did find the most beautiful GT500 I have ever seen (its a 2012), but it's a lot more $$. So, it looks like I'll be shelving this search until March or so. That'll give me time to sell a few of my fox body verts I have in order to save up some more money to put towards the GT500.

Happy New Year! And, thanks for all the replies! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I learned real quick, if you have traction control on, don't hammer it until it's straight.......
Does the traction control even help with 700 hp, lol?

After driving that 2014, I never managed to "floor it". The car had soooo much power and still started spinning the tires in any gear less than fourth!! So, I'm thinking maybe a 10-12 maybe fine for me until I get used to all the power these cars have on tap.:p

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Traction control on these cars doesn't really pull power like a typical TC, it still lets it spin but holds the RPM at a constant so you aren't pegging the limiter while the pedal is down. Pretty neat feature that makes for smooth rolling burnouts. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts