Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a pair of longtube headers for my 89 LX. I just want to know if these are good for everyday driving and if they would fit in a barely mild modified car? I know i'd have to get a different kind of xpipe and all. Any comments help too, thx.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I personnally hate shorties.. the h-pipe always leaks and it just irritates me, also get the stage 8 bolts because the ones the headers come with always back out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt

·
Registered
791 Posts
Long tubes make more power across the board than shorties.

Supposedly they're a PITA to install with the engine in the car.

Thats all the info I can give you. :lol:

·
Registered
293 Posts
lt's sound alot better then shortys too...i put the bbk's on my car..putting them in wasnt so bad...had to take the starter off and the stering shaft and loosen the mounts and jack the engine up a few inches..i know that sounds like alot of work but it really isnt..oh and the car is also lowered 1.5 and i have no problems

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
longtubes rock..not to hard to put in even with engine in the car.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My vote is for LTs. I've got BBK LT 1 5/8" with a custom o/r X-pipe. My car's engine is completely stock except for a K&N panel filter, and after the LT install I felt more power, plus is sounds different too.

The install took me awhile, since this was my first time installing LTs. I loosened the engine mounts and jacked up the engine a little bit at a time until I was able to get the headers in. Taking off the starter and steering shaft was too bad, it just takes time and patience, .........and two cut knuckles.

I would definitely do it again.

C. Focker

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Long tubes all the way. My Hooker Supercomps took me about 3 hours to install but I didn't have to remove the starter, steering shaft, or loosen the motor mounts. You'll appreciate them just because they help to eliminate exhaust drone, not to mention the exhaust note sounds a lot meaner.

Carson

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet. Is there a certain size i should look into? A buddy has 1 5/8-1 3/4 step headers. Is that a good size to get for a mainly stock motor? thx

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
MdNiteDrftr said:
Do they really?
In most cases long tubes will shift the area in the rpm's where drone occurs down. In my own car, with BBK shorties, factory H-pipe, and DynoMax 'Turbo Tubes' my car would drone around 1,800-2,000 rpm (right around 70 mph with factory gears).

With the LT's installed and an o/r H-pipe drone occurs around 1,500 rpms. I'm in and out of the drone range so quickly that you can hardly tell. I've since installed some Edelbrock Performer RPM mufflers and I can tell you there's no drone. I'm not planning to stick with these mufflers but these are just my experiences.

As far as installation...my Hookers are a multi piece design with slip-fit joints and they went in pretty easy. I didn't have to loosen my motor mounts and I've got a mini starter from a '93 so I didn't have any clearance issues. The only thing I have to do is have the hangers on my H-pipe "tweaked" to keep the H-pipe tucked up close to the car.

Carson

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my BBK longtubes. I've had stock shorties and aftermarket shorties....I will NEVER buy shorties again. When I put on my long tubes I noticed the power gain right away. Install wasn't hard either, took me about 3 hours total including the h-pipe. All I had to do is jack up one side of the motor. No more pesky exhaust leaks and taking the h-pipe off and on is a BREEZE now. Considering I didn't find LTs much harder to put on that shorties I can say that shorties over no advantage at all, except that they're cheaper. I recommend getting ceramic coated ones, they reduced my underhood temps noticeably. A cheap trick is to buy 16 grade 8 lock washers from your local hardware store and install them with each bolt. The only time I had to tighten my header bolts was when I first installed them 2 years ago, and they cost 10 cents each :D

Oh yea...my LTs sound much better and I get no more drone :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Am I the only one who gained by going with shorties??? I was running longtubes and a x-pipe and was trapping 104mph consistant.

After a burnt starter(possibly from the longtubes), burnt clutch cable and clearance issues under the car, I decided to go shorties. Well the next weekend I went to the track in similar weather conditions expecting it to slow down and to my surprise the first pass got me 107.2mph. Fastest of the day was 107.8mph.

Only other change was a h-pipe was put back on instead of the x.

I must admit that I do have drone now and also it feels a little softer on the bottom end, but all in all shorties proved to work better with my combo.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have shorties , dont have any problems , no leaks or anything... Bought them used off a guy going to LT's , so I pretty much got ceramic coated headers , Off road H and new 02's for $125 delivered... He made over 450rwhp with them , so I figure Ill be ok with them...

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
5.0 Hatch said:

Only other change was a h-pipe was put back on instead of the x.
50 Hatch, I bet it was due to going back to an h-pipe. Virtually every (if not every) independent test I've read h-pipes make more power than x-pipes below 6000rpm. X-pipes work well on NASCARS, but they turn 8000+rpm. On most street apps below 6000rpm the h-pipe will make more power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts