Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a set of Draglites and I need 3" studs. I'd like to get the ARP studs, but what size do I need? Are the sizes different from front to rear? I have stock axles. Thanks.

Eric

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not sure what ARP's to get, but the Moroso part number is MOR-46180. That is for the front and back. You will have to drill out the holes a little, so that they install easily. I can't remember the bit size my friend used, but it's just a hair bigger than the existing holes in the rotors and axles.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
The ARP studs are not a "DIRECT" fit the stock stuff is a .615 knurl, and the ARP is a .618

ARP part # is 100-7707

It is 100 times better than the Morroso

Mis-type on stock knurl....

·
Registered
388 Posts
kim said:
The ARP studs are not a "DIRECT" fit the stock stuff is a .625 knurl, and the ARP is a .618

ARP part # is 100-7707

It is 100 times better than the Morroso

Why 100 times better? Because of fit? They're both just as strong.

·
Registered
559 Posts
JRE90BLOWNGT said:

Why 100 times better? Because of fit? They're both just as strong.
I hope the ARP's are stronger than the Moroso's. I managed to shear the Moroso 3" studs off on a hard launch a week ago. I have heard from several people that the Moroso's aren't nearly as strong as the ARP's.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Get the ARP's dude, worth the $9 a set of 5...I have also heard quite a bit of the Moroso'sslicing right off....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'll definitely be getting ARP over Moroso. So .618 knurl front and rear? I know the holes in the front hubs have to enlarged, but what about the holes for the rear?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The rears will pull in without being drilled out. I used a 1.375" open ended lug nut with a big stack of washers to put my rear studs in.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have 2 extra sets in my room now for my front spindle setup, I'll get the part number of the ones I got...ARP 100-7703's....

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
the 7703's are a .625 knurl.... even more drilling required. Rest of the stud is the same.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked up 7707s on Summit's website, and they have them listed for $55.95!! I hope this is a misprint! The 7703s and the rest of their studs are under $12. Jeg's doesn't have them listed on their website.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Coiled said:

I hope the ARP's are stronger than the Moroso's. I managed to shear the Moroso 3" studs off on a hard launch a week ago. I have heard from several people that the Moroso's aren't nearly as strong as the ARP's.
thanks dude. I have to watch out for that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought you only needed the 3" studs out back. Will the fronts work w/ stock lugs?

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
lol, Nope you need all 4 tires to keep the car straight.

3" arent required, but its easier. If you use an open ended lug, about 2 threads will extend beyond the lug nut. Tech guys breeze right through. IF you use closed lugs, you will have to trim the stud, and also enjoy pulling a lug nut on all 4 wheels for tech.

If you use a shorter stud, it has to engage the NUT portion of the lug nut, at least the depth as the diameter of the stud. Basically 1/2 way through the conventional lug nut.

You need the longer studs on all 4 corners if your running welds on all 4 corners. THe wheel is thicker than the stock wheels and you need the extended stud to engage the nut properly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
damn. I wish I would've known when I ordered the wheels and lugs since I ordered closed end lugs from Summit w/ my Welds. I can send them back - luckily I didn't swap my front rotors to 5 lug yet since I'm supposed to go to the track on Wednesday :) Hopefully I can find them locally since I don't want to $200 on the .618" 3" lugs through Summit.

Jeg's has the .625" knurled studs for $10 I guess I can just drill out the rotors and axles. Of course they don't carry (or at least list) the .618" lugs on their site.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They didn't fit

I went out and picked up some Moroso studs w/ a .615" knurl for the front (I'll get ARPs for the rear) and I couldn't get them to fit. I even took them to a parts store and they couldn't get them to fit either. They said the hole in the rotor (I'm using Mark VII rotors) is only .589" and I'd need something that size - of course ARP only makes a .580" knurl stud which I'm not sure if it will be too small. I even compared it to the stock lug and it was too big, and the .615" wouldn't fit into the old 4 lug rotor.

How did you guys get the .615" to fit?

·
Registered
941 Posts
"How did you guys get the .615" to fit?"

With a drill - as mentioned above

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I didnt have to drill anything to get mine to fit, just pressed em in and they went just fine...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts