Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my near future setup...'86 stock block, 5-speed, 3.73's, TFS TW heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, 24lb injectors, '93 Cobra intake, 65mm throttle body, & 70mm mass air meter if I need to convert to MAF.

I already have MAC 1 5/8 equal length shorty headers and an H-pipe waiting to go on.

I need some opinions on whether or not I should consider long tube headers.

Basically, I need opinions on whether spending the additional $$$ to get the LT's and a matching H-pipe would be worth the performance increase over the shorties. Would it be that considerable of an increase? Or, would it be minimal where it wouldn't be worth the $$$?

Also, from what I hear, LT's can be a PITA to install and can give you problems with heating up the starter.

Thanks,
Tom
'86 notch

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
The step up to long-tubes was definitely worth it in my opinion. The LT's and pro-chamber were my last mods prior to the supercharger. I have no dyno or track numbers to back it up but the sotp impression was impressive. The car pulled harder in all gears and harder throughout the rpm range. That set-up was by far superior to my shorty/off-road h-pipe set-up. Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
longtubes!

My used MAC set set me back 200 bucks, including H-pipe, and I sold my old H-pipe for 50 bucks and traded my JBA shorties for an RPM extender...so I think I came out pretty well on the deal.

They practically slipped into place when I took out the tranny and snaked them through from underneath the car. I didn't have to touch the motor mounts, only the steering shaft. They were actually easier to install than my JBA's.

I noticed a ton of low end increase with the longtubes, and my car likes that. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love my longtubes. The exhaust is the only power mod on my car and it gained power, dunno how much though:). They are not that bad to install, just have to loosen the motor mounts, jack the motor up, and unbolt the steering shaft. You may also have to remove the starter, I did. If you have them ceramic coated you'll probably never have a problem with the stater getting hot. Mine aren't coated, but they are stainless so they don't rust, and I haven't had a problem. I've had them on for a year with a stock 186k mile starter too:D. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi,

I believe full lengths will always make more HP, but per AFM, equal length shorties with an X pipe will get close to the FL power.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
FWIW, I like to throw this out there.... a friend of mine works at a shop with a dyno, and has dyno-tested every part on his car several times.

With shorties and longtubes on his b-cammed 302, he made 311 to the wheels both times. However, the longtubes were worth at least 20 RWTQ down low all over the place. HTH

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went from unequal shorties and 2 1/2 off road H-pipe, To 1/58 long tubes with dual 3" exhaust, no H or X pipe, just dual pipes to the axle, and dumped through 3" flows 2 chambers. I noticed huge gain in low end torque felt like whole new car. I would never go shorties again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts