Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for the KB install on Friday. I was wondering if I should add Long Tubes to help it flow better.
I already have a Bassani o/r x pipe, would I have to modify my exhaust to accomodate the LT's?
How hard is the install with the engine in- I dont want to pull it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Long tubes on a blown application will have you seeing about 40-50rwhp more than the current setup(even taking into consideration that you have a hi-flow X-pipe). So yes, I would say it is worth it.

IMO, I would just buy a new X-pipe that is made to fit the longtubes. If you cut the current X-pipe to make it fit, you will end up spending as much if not more than a new X-pipe. If you sell your current X-pipe, then you will have almost enough money to buy a new shorty X-pipe.

However, the install is not a walk in the park by a longshot. The LT install will require the avg wrencher an entire weekend. Took myself and a friend from Friday night to the following Monday night to get my Tubular K, LT's, H-pipe, and Magnaflow Catback installed. Dropping the K-member made things much easier, but I would hate to drop the K-member only to put that same heavy sucker back on the car.

I highly suggest waiting until you have the time and money to do the LT's and the front end(tubular K, Coil-overs, A-arms, etc) Coilovers and the K will drop about 75lbs off the front of the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You can do it without taking the K-member off, but there is less room to work. It's your choice. I did it without dropping the K-member.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't know about 40-50rwhp gain but 30 rwhp is much more accurate. Either way, it's a HUGE difference, be it 30 or 50 :)

Just got Lt's on last weekend without dropping the k member.

Here is the deal. Those who have dropped the k member for install will always do so. They say it is much easier. Those who have never dropped the k member say, "why" and will never do it. So, do what you want, either way, it is a pain in the azz BUT WELL WORTH IT.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I spent a total of $30.00 to modify my x-pipe to get it to work with the BBK longtubes and it sounded great. All stainless steel tubing and no leaks.

I had the pipes bent for free though.

I just had to make my own setup first which is what cost the 30$ for pipes from teh autoparts store that were non stainless but they looked decent too.

Just have to be good with the grinder and welder. great if you love your Bassani like I do

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've installed longtubes without dropping the k-member and it was a royal PITA. I will never do it that way again. I also removed those same headers by dropping the k-member and it was a hell of a lot easier. One thing to watch out for though is that you re-install the k-member square with the body or you will have one dog-tracking Mustang on your hands.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think LT's on any application blown or N/A is a good choice. As far as the install is concerend, it is hard any way you look at it. I just installed them with the motor out of the car and reinstalled the motor exhaust and the tranny at once. THAT WAS TOUGH! I'd say go with longtubes.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wipeout said:
I was wondering if I should add Long Tubes to help it flow better.
A less restrictive exhaust is certainly conducive to a blown application breathing a little better. I don't know how much of a role my long tubes played in the equation, but I made the power in my sig off of six pounds and a rich 10:1 A/F curve.

Good luck,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts