Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do long tubes really have a lot more horsepower than the shorties?

Kevin 94GT
Edelbrock aluminum 6037 heads
Cobra 1.72 rockers
Cobra intake
BBK 65mm TB
24# injectors
75mm MAF
190 lph fuel pump
kirban adj fuel press reg
K&N with silencer removed
FMS 9mm wires
FMS 3:73 gears
MAC shorties
MAC H-pipe w/cats
MAC cat back
MAC pullies
17X9 Cobra R front 255/45 Bridgestone RE 730's
17X10.5 Cobra R rear 285/40's RE 730's
Tokico shocks and struts
Jamex springs
KB subframes welded in

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah they do make more power than shorty headers. However you have to be making a good deal of power to tell much difference. They will also quiet the car down. They can be a pain to install also. You have to weigh those factors too, but they do make more power and torque than shorty headers.

·
Registered
837 Posts
For your setup, I would go with the Long Tubes, I did. They are a pain though, you have to loosen the motor mounts and raise the engine up alittle.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I was told by a few mechanics to go with the long tubes to got a lot more power from my combo, but I am worried about how much money that will cost. Arent long tube headers really expensive to begin with plus the labor is probably a lot.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think they are $250+, look for a set of used ones to save some money. As for labor, I dont remember because I added them when I had my motor built so labor was all together. I know some people that have done it themselves, they say it is difficult, not impossible, and time consuming. It all depends on how hurried you have to be with it and rather or not its worth it to you to pay someone to deal with it for you or put that money towards some other mods by doing it yourself.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What labor? Do it yourself! save that money!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do it myself? **** I have trouble finding the dipstick sometimes, and even when I do find it, I don't know what to do with it. I just pull it out and look at it to make it look good for the woman.

"Yep, all clear..."

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
kbreeze said:
do it myself? **** I have trouble finding the dipstick sometimes, and even when I do find it, I don't know what to do with it. I just pull it out and look at it to make it look good for the woman.

"Yep, all clear..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that is funny, but man, Its a mustang and an AMERICAN CAR.
Unless you make lots of money, start to learn how to do some stuff. Its easy man, Just do it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't they make longtubes that are made just for take for instance 1987-1993 mustangs? I thought they made some that are specially formed to fit in the tight space easy. Just soething I heard, may not be true. Anybody heard of this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
kbreeze said:

"Yep, all clear..."
wow:eek: you paid labor to have all this installed?
kbreeze said:
Edelbrock aluminum 6037 heads
Cobra 1.72 rockers
Cobra intake
BBK 65mm TB
24# injectors
75mm MAF
190 lph fuel pump
kirban adj fuel press reg
K&N with silencer removed
FMS 9mm wires
FMS 3:73 gears
MAC shorties
MAC H-pipe w/cats
MAC cat back
MAC pullies
17X9 Cobra R front 255/45 Bridgestone RE 730's
17X10.5 Cobra R rear 285/40's RE 730's
Tokico shocks and struts
Jamex springs
KB subframes welded in
What did that cost you with labor? $500,000?(j/k) I guess if you have the money.

Anyway, I'm going to take the road less traveled and say you're fine with the mac shorties, concidering you have box stock 6037 heads and a stock cam. I'll also guess you will show very little if any hp gain with your combo, by going to LTs.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes I did. I have invested a lot of time money and frustration dealing with incompetent "mechanics"

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
part of the problem is I don't have any tools or facilities to do anything. I live in an apartment complex and don't have a garage to use or anything. Plus I just never was taught anything about engines growing up, so I have no background at all in it.

However I'd like to think I am fairly comptent and I actually am kinda handy with a lot of things. I'm not one those people that can't screw in a lightbulb or something like that, so actually I really would like to learn some stuff, b/c I would love to do it myself and know it was done right and done carefully. I know I would be detail oriented and take my time. I'd be anal about it. Probably would take me 5X as long as most people but I would make sure it wsa done right.

Nothing pisses me off more than when "mechanics" cut corners that compromise the integrity of my car mechaincallt. Especially when it's something so simple.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just switched from BBK Shorties (unequal) and a Dr.Gass Offroad X-Pipe to MAC 1-3/4 Longtubes and Prochamber X-Box Pipe.

As far as easy??? HA! its a lil more complicated in my instance as I was running a Mcleod Safety Bellhousing and it just didnt want to clear,, took alot of grinding on the bell and banging on the #2 Header tube just so it would somewhat line up,, then the damn thing didnt wanna fit flush against the heads so on one side I had to use 2 gaskets just to stop it from leaking.. I'f I had to do it over again I would have bought a set of those ANDERSON 1-3/4 Shortied that are like $500 bucks that just came out..

But its alll done now and I just got all the leaks fixed when I find one tailpipe is now 2 inches shorter then the other:mad:

But Man does this car have some PULL now!!! WooHoo,, the torque down low is exqusite,, even after I installed my Aluminum flywheel..

Just took it for a ride and if it aint a 10 sec Drag Radial car now I'm gonna sell it!

All in all after all the hassle and agravation it was worth it,, and yes it does quite the car down and gives it a nice tinny sound like real drag cars have,, thats of course if your running a big cam like me.

Brad M

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whats so great about the anderson shorties? Do you have a link??

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whats the best priced stainless steel long tubes out there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.