Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building the car more for the street or open track not the drag strip. Which headers are better? Why?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Go with the longtubes. They will give you a broader torque curve. I got a nice increase in low end when I did mine. I will never go back to shorties.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do the long tubes fit any better vs. the short tubes

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Longtubes man, like the guy above said, it has an incresse in low end and it also sounds so much better!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't use long tubes if your car is lowered. Otherwise longtubes allow the exhaust to escape better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I understand why longtubes are better for performance, but aren't they a problem for emissions? I thought that since the O2 sensor is further from the engine, it didn't get hot enough to read accurately.

Here in Dallas, the testing just got more strict, so it's harder to "work around" the issue.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Don't use long tubes if your car is lowered. Otherwise longtubes allow the exhaust to escape better.
When you say they dont work well with lowered cars how low are you talking? Has anyone else had clearence problems with long tubes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My car is lowered 2 inch's and I have 18's on it. I installed some longtubes and rubbed on many a speed bump. I ended up going with shorties. I would only go with long tubes if you plan to frequent the track often.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have quiet a few friends with lowered fox bodys and longtubes, lowest being nearly 2 inches, and they say be careful on speedbumps, and driveways, otherwise you will be ok most of the time. The lowest Im going with my longtubes will be 1 1/2 " drop. To answer your question, the long tubes will give you better performance, and better sound!

·
Registered
743 Posts
My car is lowered almost 2 inches and my long tubes rarely scrape. Ive always heard that a shorty header was best for a motor that didnt have heads/intake setup though. I put shorties on my coupe when I first got it and it improved it alot.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My car isn't lowered, and I don scrape quite alot with my longtubes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts