Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have the all the spec for the e303 and Crower 15511 cams. I am interested in the LSA number for both cams. What LSA will give the sn95 computers idle issues?

Thanks for your help

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
NOt sure about the Crower cam. The E303 cam has a 110 LSA. The higher the LSA the better the idle quality. The Crane 2031 has an LSA of 114, which a lot of SN95 guys tend to use. I have an E303 cam, and on the stock processor it will idle just not that great. I have a PMS so I can get around it, I do like the fact that the E303 has the 110 LSA, which allows it to pull higher.

Troy

·
Registered
628 Posts
Crower 511 has a 114LSA=good for stock computer. Advantage like Rednk said, the lower the LSA the more all around power you have. Lower LSA=better low end.

·
Registered
291 Posts
LSA is useless without knowing the duration as well, it's not the LSA that will give you issues it's the overlap. two cams with the same LSA but different durrations will have differing overlap and the overlap is what effects the idle and part-throttle drivability that you're concerned about.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Crower 15511 Cam Card:
http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=15511&x=19&y=12

Basically it looks like this:

Part Number/Work Order Number 15511
Engine Application 302 FORD H.O.
Grind Number 218HR224
ADVERTISED CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS:

INTAKE: Duration: 278º Lift: 0.467 Clearence Hot: 0
EXHAUST: Duration: 282º Lift: 0.485 Clearence Hot: 0

The specifications listed above are based on a rockerarm ratio of 1.6 IN
1.6 EX

RECOMMENDED VALVE SPRING INFORMATION:

Part # 68390-3 Single Dual X Triple
Approximate spring pressure: valve closed: 115/125 LBS.
valve open: 300/330 LBS.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is a good article on cams in the Dec 02 issure of 5.0 Magazine that is worth a look at. Some of the cam makers comments and insite, etc. Crane, Comp, Lunati and more. 112-115 LSA for the stock computer seems best according to everyone in the article. At least for idle and daily driving, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
From what I have read on the subject, there is exactly 1 LSA that is appropriate for each engine combination and it will rusult from getting the correct duration for the best cam. If an engine has poor driveability, the usual suspect is too much duration/overlap. The usual fix is to increase the LSA and keep the duration the same, which isn't the "correct" way to fix the problem.

Like WaterPog said, you shouldn't shoot for an LSA, you should shoot for the appropriate duration for the cam. MM&FF had a really good article on it in the same issue that they had that Fast and Ricestang car on the cover that ticked a lot of people off.

Basically, the article said to call a cam maker and feed them your engine and car's stats and there is a computer program that will kick out the cam specs you need. The chances are that if you have a bolt on car or box stock aftermarket heads, there is an off the shelf cam that will work for your application. If you have extensively ported heads, get the flow #'s and send them in and you may benefit from a custom cam.

I don't claim to be an expert so take this with a grain of salt. If I put out stuff that is blatently wrong, please correct me and I'll edit this post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts