Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,223 Posts
Looks badass, those fatass headers make it 10x better. 351W?
Yeah, 427w. I didn't want to play with wires getting close to the headers any more so I modified the looms for my T-Bucket and used them. Now I wonder why I didn't do so years ago.

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
They look good. I don't mind the yellow actually, I have a yellow Accel coil on mine. Not to be a stick in the mud however, 9mm is max for my wire protection looms. Also, that heat shrink makes the wires rigid for a longer distance - really tough to squeeze them in on a "small" cap setup. Too lazy to take a new photo, here's a zoom in on my "squirrel's nest" photo: View attachment 1076980

Forgot to mention #1 rotated 45 degrees clockwise caused me to swap wires around, I still need to shorten #3.
Taylor makes nice wire looms for their 10.4mm wires.

Reactions: Cougar5.O

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
the cover makes all the difference, install it, its there for more than looks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
the cover makes all the difference, install it, its there for more than looks.
Well believe me, I would. But mine right now is dirty as hell which defeats the whole purpose of it, so once I get home and clean it I will.

·
Old timer
6,306 Posts
What is the base cable? Do they mention this?

Sheathing is cosmetic but the cable design, core configuration and insulation material quality are the keys to whether they are worth the cost.

Worked many years in this industry and designed high speed progressive dies for the spark plug and distributor terminal ends and believe me, there are some piss-poor cable manufacturers out there. Even the method of crimping the terminals to the cable are important.

As for these wires versus the rest, time will tell. These or Firecore or whatever the latest gimmick is, they all need to be tested. Been using Moroso Ultra 40 and Taylor 409 wires for years because of the data obtained when tested all kinds of cables in the early days so it'll take some magic to make me change my ways.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What is the base cable? Do they mention this?

Sheathing is cosmetic but the cable design, core configuration and insulation material quality are the keys to whether they are worth the cost.

Worked many years in this industry and designed high speed progressive dies for the spark plug and distributor terminal ends and believe me, there are some piss-poor cable manufacturers out there. Even the method of crimping the terminals to the cable are important.

As for these wires versus the rest, time will tell. These or Firecore or whatever the latest gimmick is, they all need to be tested. Been using Moroso Ultra 40 and Taylor 409 wires for years because of the data obtained when tested all kinds of cables in the early days so it'll take some magic to make me change my ways.
This is what I could pull from the item description.
Font Material property Document Number Symmetry

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
That sounds good, and as said, time will tell about how long they last and survive header heat etc. I liked the Magnecor wires I put on my 98 Mercury in 2005ish. Those are kind of expensive, but the key was a high end silicone protection, 8.5 or 8.8mm I think it was. Lots of wires have been cooked on Explorer 302's, the one aftermarket header is terrible(equal length POS ball of 1.5" pipes, too close to the plugs). The Taylor and Ford wires seemed to be the goto for those, and they still cook when touching the pipes. At $75-$90, I went to the $130 type back then, though I'm just stock still.

Top end plug wires are needed a lot, hopefully those do turn out to be a good choice overall.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can't comment on the sponsorship detail as I have no idea. I have read that teams still pay for them.
Even if there is a sponsorship, they're not going to use stuff that doesn't work/make them competitive.

They can also handle those magnetos...

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I can't comment on the sponsorship detail as I have no idea. I have read that teams still pay for them.
Even if there is a sponsorship, they're not going to use stuff that doesn't work/make them competitive.

They can also handle those magnetos...
Need some really expensive rope to fire those plugs? done.

It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I started running them just over a year ago. So far I like them.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Need some really expensive rope to fire those plugs? done.

It's not rocket science.

I'm not arguing that one way or another. I'm just stating that it's trusted at the highest level of competitive racing.
Only Firecore and MSD are used.

Any guess as to why out of all the wire companies out there only these two being used?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts