Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Performance Distributers Live Wires in today and felt the need to advertise the initial thoughts, incase anyone is searching for a new set. I’m so surprised by them, I had to jump on here and tell you all about them.

Right off the bat, these are THE highest quality spark plug wires I’ve ever seen. Ive had 3 sets of plug wires on my car and I finally went with these, I got them custom ordered Yellow because every Foxbody I saw in the 90’s had the Yellow Ford Racing/Accel wires, gives it a retro look I think.

But the ignition system is crucial, so why cut corners on wires. These are the only wires to get, they’re custom fit and you can choose any color you want from their selection on their site. The actual wire is encapsulated in heat wrap/sleeve so wires melting is never a problem, but I will still be using plug boots as another precaution.

Everyone tell me your thoughts on them if you have them, I’ll be installing mine tomorrow. Heres some pictures :
Yellow Garden hose Wire Hose Electrical supply
Pliers Bicycle part Wire stripper Yellow Banana

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have them on mine. They seem to be good, quality appears to be top notch. I only have a few hours run time on them so I’ll to give more accurate feedback when they have more miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think the general consensus is that livewires are great

Reactions: SS BRP

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,214 Posts
They're too fat for my wire looms with that added sleeve. I doubt make a set to fit my 351w with small cap rotated one location due to distributor interference with intake.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're too fat for my wire looms with that added sleeve. I doubt make a set to fit my 351w with small cap rotated one location due to distributor interference with intake.
If you call them, I doubt they’ll refuse to fulfill a custom order. Id at least try, you wont find better wires.

·
Registered
415 Posts
They arent any different from other higher quality brand wires. I have FAST firewire custom cut ones on my car. They are identical to these with the heat wrap. One thing that will happen if you have a higher performance motor with bigger primaries is you will have to use boots. I didnt at first and the heat shrink that holds the heat sleeve on the spark plug boot will shrink more and end up sliding off, then inevitably with bigger primaries will melt the wire. Had it happen on mine, now that I put heat boots on its been good since.

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
post some installed pics……

·
Registered
437 Posts
whats the life on something like that.... i run msd and am very happy with them.... however i'm sure i'll blow through this set at some point... also price point compared to msd? also for the custom length set, do they ship you a spool of the material... or are they sorta pre cut.. i'm needing a few that will be pretty long.. i run a front drive 44 amp mag off of a BBC. therefore as you can imagine, it's a little tricky.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whats the life on something like that.... i run msd and am very happy with them.... however i'm sure i'll blow through this set at some point... also price point compared to msd? also for the custom length set, do they ship you a spool of the material... or are they sorta pre cut.. i'm needing a few that will be pretty long.. i run a front drive 44 amp mag off of a BBC. therefore as you can imagine, it's a little tricky.
In my case, I didnt need to, my setup is just a bolt on 302 that im working on getting ready for autocross and road course events. So their pre-made 302 wires were all I needed and I can guarentee you they’re miles ahead of MSD in terms of quality. As far as reliability, I dont know as they arent even installed yet. But I will say that the Positive to Negative review ratio falls heavily in LiveWires’ favor.
If you give them a call, Im sure they would make a custom order for your application. I would also use plug boots just as an extra precaution, you can never be too careful when comes to your ignition.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
So, A plug wire with a yellow sleeve and some heat shrink with the words "live wires" on them. I don't get it. My bias may be showing because I HATE yellow plug wires. I don't care who makes them. I hate the color yellow on plug wires. Lol. Reminds me too much of the POS Accel plug wires from back in the day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, A plug wire with a yellow sleeve and some heat shrink with the words "live wires" on them. I don't get it. My bias may be showing because I HATE yellow plug wires. I don't care who makes them. I hate the color yellow on plug wires. Lol. Reminds me too much of the POS Accel plug wires from back in the day.
Which part do you not get? Im saying theyre good quality, someone wanted pics so I took pics…

·
Registered
'87 Cougah 428W - ⚡Cougar7.0⚡
5,214 Posts
They look good. I don't mind the yellow actually, I have a yellow Accel coil on mine. Not to be a stick in the mud however, 9mm is max for my wire protection looms. Also, that heat shrink makes the wires rigid for a longer distance - really tough to squeeze them in on a "small" cap setup. Too lazy to take a new photo, here's a zoom in on my "squirrel's nest" photo:
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Blue Automotive exterior Automotive design

Forgot to mention #1 rotated 45 degrees clockwise caused me to swap wires around, I still need to shorten #3.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They look good. I don't mind the yellow actually, I have a yellow Accel coil on mine. Not to be a stick in the mud however, 9mm is max for my wire protection looms. Also, that heat shrink makes the wires rigid for a longer distance - really tough to squeeze them in on a "small" cap setup. Too lazy to take a new photo, here's a zoom in on my "squirrel's nest" photo: View attachment 1076980

Forgot to mention #1 rotated 45 degrees clockwise caused me to swap wires around, I still need to shorten #3.
Looks badass, those fatass headers make it 10x better. 351W?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have to agree. What makes them "quality" when you haven't ran them yet. They are yellow, new and clean with shielding heat-shrink sealed on the ends. OK, as a former mold-maker their mold for the boots needs some work. I see more flash on them than my Moroso Ultra 40 wires which are also sleeved and heat-shrink sealed. The numbers are more carefully oriented so you can read all of them from the top, I'll give'm that.

BTW, back in my day the Accel wires were available in copper core. My 70 Pontiac Lemans loved them but I had to add a noise suppressor to the radio.
You guys have better cameras than I do LOL

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 48 Posts