Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of adds on the net for Lincoln 4.6 motors. Are the short blocks truly a direct swap into a Cobra?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes. The only difference is the crank, exhaust cams and intake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well the 4.6 in my 96 Town Car is steel with a 4 bolt main, the 4.6 in my 98 Cobra is aluminum, with long skirts and a 6 bolt main???

·
Registered
62 Posts
edz said:
Well the 4.6 in my 96 Town Car is steel with a 4 bolt main, the 4.6 in my 98 Cobra is aluminum, with long skirts and a 6 bolt main???
Well your TC is a 2 cam modular which is iron. ALL Mark VIII's have an aluminum block 6 bolt main with steel sleeves and 4v heads.

2 completely differnt engines entirely (TC vs MK8/Cobra)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well your TC is a 2 cam modular which is iron.
So is this the same as a GT then?? I was thinking about finding a wrecked one and getting the motor to play with and learn from taking it apart.

Thanks Bud

·
Registered
62 Posts
bud4660 said:

So is this the same as a GT then?? I was thinking about finding a wrecked one and getting the motor to play with and learn from taking it apart.

Thanks Bud
The TC,CV,Mustangs and GM's all have the same 2 cam modular iron block.

Physically they are the same. So go ahead and get one, especially if its for experimentation.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
so is it an 8 bolt fly wheel? or a 6 bolt?

the same rods and pistons? compression? can I just get the cobra exhaust cams? and intake and bolt it on?

what power will the crank handle? I want about 300 RWHP at around 6500 maybe spin it up to 7000 and that's all it would ever see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SKYWLKR said:
so is it an 8 bolt fly wheel? or a 6 bolt?

the same rods and pistons? compression? can I just get the cobra exhaust cams? and intake and bolt it on?

what power will the crank handle? I want about 300 RWHP at around 6500 maybe spin it up to 7000 and that's all it would ever see.
IM not sure about the specs, but they are the same block, the cranks are cast and all the pistons are hyperpathetic in those model cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
96blkcobra said:
The crank in the Mark VIII is 6-bolt
I know, he was asking about the crank in the 2 cammer which is also 6-bolt.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
naw I couldnt give a rats ass about a 2V motor . my personal feeling if you want more power after bolt on's or the PI heads (if it's a 96-98) then it's time to dump it and do a 4V swap esp. if staying N/A.

I dont understand why people put so much money into a 2v just to get it close to the 4v power level.

does'nt make any sense too me.

you can sell sell the motor to some 6 cyl person for a good bit of money towards the 4v swap. if you play it right you can actually make money if you have a 99+ 2V to sell.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not dissing you but the 2v are great engines to put blowers on--they are stronger and probably can handle more hp than the al block--there is a dude near me with a 2v and he is right at 700hp with a 100 shot--don't think the 4v could deal with that

·
Registered
68 Posts
What about the heads on these motors? Are the 99+ Lincolns tumble port with just different cams (to the Cobra)?

So basically with a forged crank, new cams and Cobra intake you have an exact Cobra motor?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
well I was talking about N/A but bolt a blower on a 4V and you have more power than that. I,ve seen 800 WHP cobra's big deal.

bolt a blower on a stock cobra you have 400 RWHP

bolt one on a 2V and you get 350 RWHP maybe

the aluminum block is good too 800 hp.

So what crank does your boy with the mega power 2V have?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Physically they are the same. So go ahead and get one, especially if its for experimentation.
Cool. Sounds go to me!!

Thanks!!!

Bud

·
Registered
941 Posts
ratman said:
Not dissing you but the 2v are great engines to put blowers on--they are stronger and probably can handle more hp than the al block--there is a dude near me with a 2v and he is right at 700hp with a 100 shot--don't think the 4v could deal with that
What have you been smoking?? I've never seen nor hear of someone nuking a 4v Cobra Block unless they were well over 700hp.

The 4v motor is vastly superior over the 2v in almost all aspects.
You need to spend 4 times the money on a 2v to make the same power with the same reliability.

You can make 600 to the wheels on a 32V motor with a blower,exhaust and tuning.

To do the same for a 2v you need ported heads, different intake, and a crank that will live to 7000 rpm to get the RPM necessary to make that power.

Most blown 99 2v motors (wont even bother to mention the 96-98 POS) make 360-380 with custom tuning, full exhaust, and all the other bolt on BS.

Most 4v motors make 400 to the wheels and more with just the blower and the stock chip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts