Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few years of bolting junk on my car it's finally time to go to the track on Friday. The car is a 91 GT with full interior and the A/C blowing cold air so it's not light.

Engine:
Stock roller block with all the machine work done and ARP main bolts
Stock rods with ARP bolts
Older 2MAE 28 oz crank converted to a 1 piece rear main
Pistons are JE 10:1
Custom solid roller cam .600 .605 226 225 @ .050 and springs to match
New comp 838-16 lifters
Trend pushrods
Victor Jr heads
Systemax intake
70 mm T/B
75mm MAF
36 LBS injectors
MAC LT's
Tweecer to tune with

Trans rearend:
Astro A5 with all the options, Centerforce clutch, Aluminum flywheel and driveshaft. 4:10 gears and USA alloy 28 spline axles and a stock tracklok

Rear suspension:
Baseline Street launch uppers, Baseline Streep Strip lowers, 3/4 of a coil cut off the stock springs, pinion is at 2* and Strange 10 way shocks.

Front Suspension:
Team Z K and A arms with Strange 10 way struts.

Tires and wheels:
Weld big and skinnies M/T E.T. streets

I'm hoping for a 12.50 or better off the trailer and then get into the 11.s after I get the suspension worked out and a good tune on it. I'll be leaving off the 2-step (if I get it wired up by then) and shifting 6500-7K
What do you guys think? Do you see anything holding me back?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would think the car will run that pretty easy without much trouble, even without a maxed out tune. IDK how well the stock differential is gonna hold up to higher RPM launches though, although like I said, I'm no expert. Have fun and good luck on Friday.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I would think easy 11's if it hooks, sounds good, and have fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are the heads & intake ported? If so, to what extent? I would say your combo is capable of running low 12's at about 109~110mph.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Are the heads & intake ported? If so, to what extent? I would say your combo is capable of running low 12's at about 109~110mph.
I'm thinking better than that even out of the box. Once the suspension and tune is lined out, easy mid 11s on motor maybe better and potentially mid to low 10s on the nitrous. Depends really on how well matched that cam is.

The systemax intake is a very nice piece. My old 347 went [email protected] n/a with a systemax and home ported twisted wedges that probably don't flow what those Vic Jrs flow out of the box. I was running a hydraulic cam, less gear, less suspension mods, and weighed in at 3100 lbs.

JustChuck on here went mid 11s n/a at around 2900 lbs with a 306 with AFR 165 heads and a Performer intake with less gear I think and an AOD trans. Low 10s on spray.

You can send the cookie to me in Baytown if I'm right.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd sure hope better than that myself! If not I'd be seriously upset and looking for a new mechanic.......and driver.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think Carl (White90GT) is close. I'm going to call it 12.02 at 111 Just because it's the first night out.

Mid 11 potential all day long, even in a heavy full Int. GT.

I think your 60 is going to be very nice. Bang the hell out of those gears!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heads and intake have not had any work done to them.

I'm guessing a 12.50 or better for a few reasons. First the cam was ground for this engine with a Victor Jr carb intake and a prosystem carb, so I'm not sure how the EFI setup will effect it. Secondly the track I'll probably end up is a hole with little to no track prep. And lastly I haven't driven a car at the track in 7 years. I'm sure once the suspension and tune are dialed in and I get to a good track (Norwalk) it will get me a 11.xx slip.
Thanks for all the replies guy it's getting me pretty pumped up to get to the track!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
No I doubt I have my junk squared away by then for the NMRA event. I'll probably just head up on a test and tune night.
I probably won't either, (haven't even fired up the new bullet yet :eeek:) but I'll still be there going slow, LOL

Good luck. I think you'll be very surprised once you get it out.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
The heads and intake have not had any work done to them.

I'm guessing a 12.50 or better for a few reasons. First the cam was ground for this engine with a Victor Jr carb intake and a prosystem carb, so I'm not sure how the EFI setup will effect it. Secondly the track I'll probably end up is a hole with little to no track prep. And lastly I haven't driven a car at the track in 7 years. I'm sure once the suspension and tune are dialed in and I get to a good track (Norwalk) it will get me a 11.xx slip.
Thanks for all the replies guy it's getting me pretty pumped up to get to the track!!!
What's the LSA of the cam if you don't mind?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Did you make it to the track yet? I did, but broke the 3-4 shift fork after only a few passes >:p Got one on it's way and plan on running Norwalk still. I guess it'll be more of a dial-in during qualifying for me, lol

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope not yet. Couldn't go Friday because of tires and a wedding, can't go tomorrow becuase Summit Racing is sold out of tires. They should be here Wednesday or Thursday so I'll be able to go friday. I did get a tune from dirtydirtyracing.com though and it does pull better since the tune. I'm and thinking about running NMCA True Street at Norwalk and Indy this year. I'm sure I will not win anything but should still be fun.

What trans did you break the shift fork ?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well that sucks. What tires are you looking for? Discount Tire Direct has better pricing usually, but they don't have the MT's if that's what you're looking to go with again.

How about NMRA TS too? It's a blast even if you don't go to win! I did that back in 2010/2011 and ended up winning the 13 second slot at Joliet with this car.

It's the 3-4 fork in my T5.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Hoosier QTP's. I have yet another wedding the same weekend that NMRA is at Norwalk this year or I probably would go.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got to the track Friday. I'm not super excited with the time slips but It's about what I suspected. It was my first pass in 7 years and my first time ever with a 5 speed, my old car had a C-4. There was no track prep of any kind so I think that was part of my high 60' times. I was spinning through 1st and when I hit second. Tightening up the struts helped with the second gear spin. Okay enough excuses so here are the time slips.
First pass I'm car #52 the scribbles at the top are tire pressure, strut setting, shock setting and pass number

This was my best pass of the night the air was getting better and I took off the air cleaner that hasn't been cleaned or replaced in years.

This pass was a bust, the shift knob came loose when I hit second and caused me to miss 3rd.

Before I go back I'm going to clean the air filter, adjust the valves, plot the suspension, get my data logger to work, get a new shift knob, wire up the 2 step and whatever else I come up with. The MPH makes me think it's not making enough power for an 11.xx pass.

So what do you guys think of all this.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts