Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have leaky valve cover gaskets, they leak towards the rear and I always see oil leaking right near where the transmission is. I'm replacing my clutch this weekend, but i'm wondering if I don't replace the valve cover gaskets yet, will oil leak onto the new clutch and screw everything up? I will replace the valve cover gaskets, but I might now have time to do that until next weekend.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been looking into replacing my clutch also. (I already replaced the valve cover gaskets about 2 months ago). Most of the write-ups that I've read say to replace the rear main seal if it's leaking when installing a new clutch. So, I would assume that leaking valve covers could be a problem too, especially if the oil is leaking down into that area. Since you're not able to do it for a week, it might not kill you. I'd hate to spend all the time and money on a clutch just to ruin it with an oil leak, though. Maybe you could do the valve cover gaskets this weekend, then next weekend do the clutch?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mo-427w said:
valve cover gaskets are a 30 minute job TOPS.
I'm not the best mechanic in the world, but it sure would take me longer than 30 minutes just to get the plenum off and make sure all the hoses were still installed/functioning correctly. Then maybe another hour to pull/scrape/clean the old gasket off, and put the new ones on.

I could see 30 minutes on a carbed car, since you wouldn't have to remove the intake manifold just to get to the valve covers. I'm just assuming that he's FI since he said he wouldn't have the time to do it in one weekend.

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
do yourself a favor and go to a FORD dealership and pay the bucks for a set of the heavy duty rubber coated steel gaskets, ive been using the same ones for 4yrs with not a hint of leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts