Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a month ago my car hydroplaned and hit a median and has been in the shop since. Before i had had a rear main that leaked. The whole time it has been in the shop it has been on jackstands in the front only. My question is, since the oil is up against a leaking rear seal is all of the oil leaking into my bellhousing and all over the flywheel and clutch? if sou will i need to replace my clutch or can i just clean it and put it back in. Please feel free to respond. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Odds are yes, the oil is leaking on your flywheel and clutch. When you do your clutch job, you might as well jack the engine up a little bit, drop the oil pan and the main caps and just toss a new rear main seal in there. It's worth it to save future clutch headaches, let alone the mess on your driveway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If the car has not been running, then any oil should just leak down the back of the block and into the bellhousing. When the car is running would it be more likely to get thrown onto the clutch.

LOL

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
1-piece rear main seal...

FYI - your '89 should have the (newer) 1-piece rear main seal. No need to jack the motor, drop the oil pan, and remove a main cap. The block design is different, and the seal can be removed/installed without doing all that...

Also fwiw - my rear main was leaking and when I replaced the clutch (and seal) , my clutch was oiled-down real bad. It was really slipping... Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Do you have any suggestions on clutches or flywheels. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Recommendations...

Well - everyone has an opinion. All I can do is tell you what I did. There was a post a few days ago, and everyone seems to rave about the Spec clutches - I have no experience with them.

Anyway - I pulled my oiled-down 203,000 mile clutch, replaced my rear-main seal, and took my stock flywheel to a auto parts store and had it resurfaced for about $20. Put that back on, and went with a FMS HD clutch/pressure plate - and a T5z. I've been running this setup for about 5-years and 50,000 miles. Still grabs like new... I really like my setup. (Just remember I'm running a street setup - a few bolt-ons - no BIG power.) Good luck! Mark

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will i be able to drive the car for a few days or will the oil prevent the clutch from engaging?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My guess...

-------------------------------------
will i be able to drive the car for a few days or will the oil prevent the clutch from engaging?
-------------------------------------

... is that the car (clutch) will pretty much drive just the way it did before the crash - you should be fine...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts