Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 275/50/15 BFG DR's mounted on my telstars today. If it stops raining for once I will take it to the track tomorrow. Will be putting them on at the track so they will have 0 miles on them. Do I need to burn them off real good before my first pass??
If I dump the clutch around 3,000 will I get a good launch? I know I should go higher but I would like to drive it home instead of walking.:)

Thanks, Jason.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, after a few Margaritas I started doing John Force style burnouts and dumping the clutch at 4500 rpms. I got a 1.7 60 foot, and burnt clutch and flywheel.:D The tires hooked so good that the car nosed over after the clutch locked up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same tires as you. I launched at 3 grand Tuesday night and still had to walk home.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
greensnake97:

Was that your first pass ??

Gary01GT:

What happened to your car?

These kind of replies are not making me feel any better.:(

Me puts Nike's by the door.....

Jason.

·
Registered
77 Posts
what brand are they? my brother bought a set of bfg dragradials, he contaced them and asked them what the recomended. they said when the are brand new to go out to a parking lot or something and do 1 long line lock for about 7 seconds to start the heat cycle or something like that. that was the best part because he was at work and asked me to go BREAK THEM IN....... free beating time on my brothers f-body. after that they said they work best by doing a short 1-2 second burnout before each run to clean off any junk collected on them in the staging lanes. any longer and they said they start to flake and dont hook up so well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea they said it was just to clean them, that they really didnt need to be heated up like a slick. i would suggest just go and try a couple different ways. do one run with a 1-2 sec burnout. do another with maby a 4 sec burnout. just see what get s you the best 60'. oh they stressd to keep them OUT of the water box. this is coming straight from bfg............but i would just try a few different ways and see what works for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
RacinJason07 said:
greensnake97:

Was that your first pass ??

Gary01GT:

What happened to your car?

These kind of replies are not making me feel any better.:(

Me puts Nike's by the door.....

Jason.
The left axle tube twisted in the differential housing and the left tire is now up against the front of the wheelwell. I haven't had time to tear it apart yet and check for internal damage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No that wasn't my first run, but it was my best so far on the bfg's.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
greensnake97 said:
Well, after a few Margaritas I started doing John Force style burnouts and dumping the clutch at 4500 rpms.
Do me a favor dumbass, don't ever come down to our track. It's stupid ass pet tricks like that, that kills people.

joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wow, some serious horror stories with launching on BFGs. My buddy runs the BFG tires and just does what others have recommended and just "cleans" them off.
I have the ET Streets and do a nice 5 sec burnout before every run, launch at 5k+ and(knock on wood) haven't had any problems.
Now I also upgraded the rearend as you can see in the sig, plus I welded the axle tubes, which may have helped Gary.
:cool:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MC Cobra:

Did you just weld a bead all the way around the tube where it goes into diff housing?? I assume you did this when you upgraded axles and had oil out?

Jason.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes, I had a chassis shop weld a bead 360* around the tube that attaches to the center section. I did this before I swapped in all the new parts you see in my sig. The stock axles, gears, dif and oil was in it when this is done. What the shop did say is that they prefer the housing to be empty(w/o axles), b/c they run a rod through the housing/tubes to ensure the tubes do not bend from the heat of the welder. What the shop did in my case was run a bead 180*, let it cool then continued.
I do know how to weld but this shop only charged me $30 and had a jig to hold the axle in place.
Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts