Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to attempt to get a good 1\4 run in, in about 2 weeks.
Problem is the wheel spin off the line is not good & I'd like to get some advise. Here is all details that may or may not help.......

My '89 'vert spec's: (REAR)235\60\15 DR's on 10 hole factory rims
stock springs
Koni red shocks (I believe are worn out)
Granatelli UCA & LCA's (poly bushings,all ends)
(FRONT) factory 16" ponies & tires
FRPP "c" springs w\loose Gabriel struts
Otherwise; all stock front suspension parts

Vehicle weight w\driver: 3500lbs
Motor: stock 230,000 mile
At the track: I loosen the front sway bar
Whoops! I forgot to mention the full length welded in sub's & strut tower brace.

Now, I wondering, what do I need to do and\or what can I buy to help launch at a higher rpm than 2,000 without tire spin?
I'm considering these items & would like you're opinions.....

Line lock(I wonder if the tires are not getting hot)

adjustable pinion snubber(will it help with a stock to mild car?)

ANY ADVISE,(on a budget),WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.....P.S....the reason for my asking is I'm a "newbie" to drag racing a fox Mustang. I always had a leafsprung, Cleveland motored, & automatic trans. car to race. This is a whole new ballgame. I've gleaned some info. from other similar posts.....

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
anthony remove the sway bar all together or by loosening it are yuo meaning yu disconect it and zip tie it up? Pull the rpm's up and slip the clutch not let the clutch straight out and that will help with the tire spin. dont; drive through the water box, back in( somepeople state don;t even go in the water box) I liek to back into the edge of the water box and then pull a hair forward put the car in 2nd gear and dump the clutch at abut 5,000 rpm and then quickly stab the brakes with my left foot to keep the car from rolling forward. do a burn out for about 5 seconds or a little longer. Pull up to the line and then run the rpms up to about 4,000 or higher and slip the clutch out slowly in a smooth motion so the car goes but yoru not slamming the clutch engaged cause all the poweer to be there at once, your controling the flow of power.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
ohh yeah and get a good set of adjustable shocks , nice ride when driving around town and yu can switch the settings on them for weight transfer at the track.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FordFreak300 said:
Fordfreak, disconnecting the swaybar entirely works better than loosening the endlinks for about 1-2" of slop or play?
Yeah, that thread was the "similar posts" I was referring to in a earlier posting of mine. I "imagined" the only way to really launch it was "easing out" the clutch versus "dropping it". But, with no track time & previous experience to build on; I felt there should be a ton of experienced individuals in the Corral that might divulge a little info. I plan on eventually getting a set of Tokico Ilumina 5 way adjustables & a line lock for sure. It's hard to do a 4-5 second burnout in my car without the linelock. Thanks for the advise guys.........

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yeah disconecting it and removing it from the car works better, takes a few pounds of weight off the front and doesn;t cause the car to hit a point of resistance making it harder to lift on the front end. I launch typically about 4,000 in my car right now althugh I should be launching it at 5,000 but my clutch is rather grabbing and doesn;t do the slipping method to well so I'm still feeling it out. Of course your car can do a 4-5 second burnout. Bring it over and I'll do it right in my parking lot :) If yu back up right to teh edge of the burnout box and ump the clutch and I mean dump it all at once from say 5,000 I usually do it in second gear and as soon as you dump the clutch and the car starts to roll forward stab the brakes the car will stop moving forward and yuo will be doing a burn out. Line lock will make it easier though if you are more comfortable with that. Sometime we will have to make a run up LACR whichis only 20 minutes from where I am( close to magic mountain) and i'll give ya some help.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FordFreak300 said:
yeah disconecting it and removing it from the car works better, takes a few pounds of weight off the front and doesn;t cause the car to hit a point of resistance making it harder to lift on the front end. I launch typically about 4,000 in my car right now althugh I should be launching it at 5,000 but my clutch is rather grabbing and doesn;t do the slipping method to well so I'm still feeling it out. Of course your car can do a 4-5 second burnout. Bring it over and I'll do it right in my parking lot :) If yu back up right to teh edge of the burnout box and ump the clutch and I mean dump it all at once from say 5,000 I usually do it in second gear and as soon as you dump the clutch and the car starts to roll forward stab the brakes the car will stop moving forward and yuo will be doing a burn out. Line lock will make it easier though if you are more comfortable with that. Sometime we will have to make a run up LACR whichis only 20 minutes from where I am( close to magic mountain) and i'll give ya some help.
i will definetly take you up on that offer one of these days. i do go to Carlesbad on ocassion; but it's usually as a pit crew member for one of my buddies 'blue '69 fastbacvk or the '79 Capri with fox sheetmetal & bumper on the nose. O.K.... if i get my car back by next friday; i will be at Palmdale next Sunday & give the sway bar the "boot". I'm hoping to do a little practice on the side before the "event" & work on trying to get an idea of how to launch this thing......thanks.......

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
with practice yuo will get it. it takes practice though.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
power braking a stick is easy...put the heel of your foot on the brake and use the ball of your foot to go on the gas.....

tach it up..dump the clutch(2nd gear) and then place your left foot on the brake and slide right foot over to be fully on the throttle......or you could just keep right foot as it is til ya get the feel of switching fast.....

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BADAZZ89LX said:
power braking a stick is easy...put the heel of your foot on the brake and use the ball of your foot to go on the gas.....

tach it up..dump the clutch(2nd gear) and then place your left foot on the brake and slide right foot over to be fully on the throttle......or you could just keep right foot as it is til ya get the feel of switching fast.....
Hmmmmmmmmm. I have rear disc brakes.....won't it be a little tougher to powerbrake? I gotta get my dadburn car outta da shop to begin experimenting......thanx for de advize.......

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I have rear disc brakes. It just takes a little practice and you get used to doing it. line lock works very well though if you would prefer that route. I liek just dumping the clutch and stabbing the brake though. just personal preferance.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FordFreak300 said:
I have rear disc brakes. It just takes a little practice and you get used to doing it. line lock works very well though if you would prefer that route. I liek just dumping the clutch and stabbing the brake though. just personal preferance.
Sounds good, I'm going to have to get some practice in ......I pick up my brand new transmission from Brother's Performance tonight after work. I'm still looking to run at Palmdale this Sunday.......

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
very cool. I'm still on a I'm nto sure yet. if it comes down to food on the table or racign then it will be food on the table. Depends on how a few things go between now and then. WOrk has just been slow since the new year and it has made things tight around here and Ineed a new intake manifold mine is leaking coolant into the #1 cylander because the manifold is old and worn out. I'm hoping to atleast make it to watch.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote,"If it comes down to food on the table or racing; then food on the table[ it is]".
Then, my friend, you ain't no real racer! There is a reason 99% or racers are thin; we starve to support our lunacy! Sorry to hear about the biz'ness end of things; I've noticed a bit of "hesitancy" in the market right now. The company I work for is usually swamped with work at this time of year. My best description of the situation is: we are "nerviously awaiting" the customer orders. Hope to see you there anyway!

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I am still trying to get things figured out to go. and as for starving my self I have no problem with that, but I don;t think my 7 year old daughter would understand why she was being starved. LOL I still need to get my new intake before i run the car anyway. maybee I can atleast make it up to watch.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slow87GT.....ditch the rear sway bar too? Any technical reasoning for doing that? I've never heard of removing the rear swaybar. I have removed the quads already when I installed the Grannatelli upper & lower control arms,(by-by wheel hop!). I did plan on purchasing a right rear airbag in the near future as well. The front springs will be a compromise since this is my commuter as well; stock front coils with Tokiko Illumina 5 way adjustables, (all around of course). Thanx for the information you have provided....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts