Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a TKO w/ Lakewood bell. I didnt get any instructions on how to put it on. I know I need to remove the dowels but I heard something mentioned about a dial indicator. Any help with instructions on the lakewood setup would be great!

Thanks

Cole.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We put my Lakewood onto a 4 speed toploader with the locating kit (new dowel pins) that is extra with the bell. My buddy mic'd it and it was pretty much dead on. That was just in this case though. Find a buddy that is good with a dial indicator. Try a search on a few boards and see what pops up. Someone with more experience chime in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i threw the instructions away and stuck mine together. Ran the piss out of it for three years and never had a problem. Maybe i was just lucky.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would recomend against this, you NEED to align the bell to the block, dont just neglect to do it. Mine was off .020 on total indicator reading so i needed the offset bushings to align it correctly.

The crankshaft centerline and the input shaft of tranny have to be on the centerline if not it will either wear the crank bearings or the bearings on input shaft. Imagine grabbing the crank and pushing it around in circular motion. This is what will happen if you do not align it.
I believe Lakewoods website has the insructions on how to this. If you have no clue after reading insrtuctions get someone to help you. Also it is easier to do this with engine out.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Moving to General Tech... please keep Engine Tech, engine related.

SVT

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I also installed mine and checked for run out, the guy I bought it from said I didn't have to (I did anyways because I'm anal), he told me that with the early Lakewood bell hosings that they had a problem with the line up but all the new ones have been bang on (I think he told me that they did a retool, but not sure). So if yours is new then you probably don't have to check it. Mine was good, I also used the stock dowels.
Len

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow never knew that, I just left my stock pins in block and bolted it up. Bought it last summer, maybe they took care of that problem. Mines a T-5 in a 84GT no problems yet but I'm in the process of switching it to my 82GT with the new longrod 306 so maybe I'll check it while I have it out just for ****s and giggles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats Lakewoods website? thanks guys. This is a newer bell within the last year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts