Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many here have done this, I'm looking at getting all the parts from Mustang Parts Specialties in Georgia, but I was wondering what labor for a job like this may be. I don't think I could handle this myself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just did the opposite. Did it myself and it was to say the least time consuming. I would imagine it would be pretty expensive to have someone else do it. Doing what your doing should be easy, which is going the other way. If I had to swap out the AOD to a T-5, now, it would be easy. The hardest part of my swap was putting in the heavy AOD, special LT's, running a trans cooler and smashing my floorboard for the Hammer shifter, so I guess going the other way would be pretty easy. Although I hear you'd have to cut the opening for the shifter a little bigger for a manual shifter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did the swap you are thinking about. It is a little time consuming but isn't that hard. I did it in my driveway while the care was on jackstands. They provide absolutely everything you will need. Dont' forget to move your speedo cable to the proper hole. Auto cars ran the speedo car through the clutch cable hole in the firewall so you have to route it through a different grommet. No big deal. You may need a friend to help you steady the auto trans out and the 5-speed in. This was the best thing I ever did for my car. I love the manual. Don't waste your money paying someone to do it for you. Good luck

·
Registered
840 Posts
MPS is pricey for their stuff. I would look around for the parts you need. Around here there a few mustang shops that will do it, but most of them charge an arm and a leg for it. The biggest advantage I found is to have a lift. I did this swap back in the fall and it was so much faster with a lift. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the labor. Thats the best price I got around here for the job and that was from a shop that actually knows what he is doing and gives a warranty on his work. I was too cheap to pay it so I had him do the tranny work and I rented a lift for $75 and did it myself in a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.