Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
My question would be why not just spend $30 more and let him design what you need? Even if it’s temporary, for $30 difference, it’s a no brainer to me.
I'd go with that thought, what is the cost of the in hand E cam, that proposed FTI OTS cam, versus a custom version? I'd likely choose the one in hand, or one that may also be had very cheaply, like an HO or truck roller cam.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I must be poor AF because how are y'all justifying spending $400 bucks on a cam that you already know isn't going to be optimal for your setup when you in fact have a cam that you can use for this temporary engine in your hands?

Y'all old timers really got that money to burn.

Not tryna bash you though Dwain, not my build, not my way, but it seems you kinda answered your own question in post #1.
not sure its worth doing with the intake manifold I am using. [...] my intake isnt optimal.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I must be poor AF because how are y'all justifying spending $400 bucks on a cam that you already know isn't going to be optimal for your setup when you in fact have a cam that you can use for this temporary engine in your hands?

Y'all old timers really got that money to burn.

Not tryna bash you though Dwain, not my build, not my way, but it seems you kinda answered your own question in post #1.
I would reuse it at all later date with the complete gt40 setup i have. I guarantee I'll build another SBF powered project in the future. Ill be looking for a bumpside f100 or unibody in about a year. I've got a tubular gt40 in my garage attic and an explorer intake too.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm an old timer..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how I'm an old timer..
You said it yourself sir.

cause im old
I would reuse it at all later date with the complete gt40 setup i have. I guarantee I'll build another SBF powered project in the future. Ill be looking for a bumpside f100 or unibody in about a year. I've got a tubular gt40 in my garage attic and an explorer intake too.
It kinda sounds like you already want the KR1-A cam but need someone to justify it. Just shoot for the stars man. Forget what the general population says and run the thing. You're going to use it on a better suited combo down the line anyways. Meanwhile you'll get to experience how the cam performs with your current combo and you'll get to experience wether or not there is an actual gain by going to the long runner intake. And you can share your experiences with the community. Imagine it performs equally with the single plane and a spacer? Would be interesting to assess. (And maybe sell me the e303 for cheap because its garbage anyways! [joking])

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You said it yourself sir.

It kinda sounds like you already want the KR1-A cam but need someone to justify it. Just shoot for the stars man. Forget what the general population says and run the thing. You're going to use it on a better suited combo down the line anyways. Meanwhile you'll get to experience how the cam performs with your current combo and you'll get to experience wether or not there is an actual gain by going to the long runner intake. And you can share your experiences with the community. Imagine it performs equally with the single plane and a spacer? Would be interesting to assess. (And maybe sell me the e303 for cheap because its garbage anyways! [joking])
Yep, im not 18 any more but im not an old timer. that was more of a joke. They say if its too loud, youre too old. Im just over the drone and loud ass exhaust. If its not going to run well i would just use the funds somewhere else and get the cam later. Thats really what it comes down to.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
There are ways to manage drone. Depending on your gearing you may not experience drone enough to warrant the methods to manage it. I wouldn't worry about drone until you know you have that problem. My car, for example has zero drone at most speeds, but is particularly bad at about 1700-1800. I'm going to have to address that because that's what I roll at in the 55-60 mph range. But at highway speeds, nothing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Dwain - I'm no carb or cam expert, but do know enough to make a couple suggestions.
1. is there any chance of you finding a more appropriate Performer RPM/Weiand Stealth intake off the second hand market? Anything other than that Vic?
2. Cam - if temp, run what you got to get started, thought the cost of gaskets/coolant/oil/time for swapping cams is enough of a pain in the ass that it's more cost effective to start where you want to end.
3. resonance/drone. Get your motor/exhaust situation figured out first and THEN deal w/ drone. If you have space under the truck, a decent mic on your phone, then you can measure with an app like Spectrum, find the resonant peaks while driving, and then calculate the details from a hemholtz resonator or 1/4 wave spreadsheet (one covers a wider swath than the other). My guess is you'll be in the 125-140hz range, but always measure. Build some side branch resonators in your exhaust and remeasure.

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,358 Posts
Lol...I must be stuck at 16 when I bought my 86 coupe because at 47 now, I've never gave a rat's ass about drone and my coupe still packs longtubes,off road exhaust and Flowmasters. I guess riding a loud ass hotrod Harley most of my life since I was a small boy hasn't helped either....

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Lol...I must be stuck at 16 when I bought my 86 coupe because at 47 now, I've never gave a rat's ass about drone and my coupe still packs longtubes,off road exhaust and Flowmasters. I guess riding a loud ass hotrod Harley most of my life since I was a small boy hasn't helped either....

LOL, I bet you just don't hear it as loud as some people do, you're conditioned for it now. I never wanted a really loud exhaust, every muffler I have had was louder than I was hoping for. But I like a mild note, louder when it's on/WOT, lots of mufflers though are really loud all the time. I have no issue with anyone doing what they want, as much as it doesn't wake people up late at night while easing down the street.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I like to listen to my stereo, not drone.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,153 Posts
I have vehicles for listening to the radio hauling the fifth wheel and building the old muscle car to do what it does best. Be bad ass. Deleted the radio in my 20’s.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,153 Posts
And where I live it’s like explaining how a man should know how to fish and hunt. I start a wood burning fire in my fire pit and other wife’s and a couple husbands want to know how I got it on the first try. Then I show what I assembled/built in my garage.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts