Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a gt40 headed explorer motor with 4r70w w/2600 stall I am using until I build an aluminum headed engine a couple years from now. I am using an Victor JR single plane knockoff intake manifold with bbk shorties 2.5 inch mac pro chamber and 2.5 50 series mufflers cause im old and dont want it loud. My heads have Alexs parts .550 lift springs. ive been thinking of picking up a KR1A cam from Ed but not sure its worth doing with the intake manifold I am using. If I dont get that cam, Im gonna do an E303 that I have laying in the garage. I will be using the stock stamped rockers and picking up hardened pushrods with the KR1a. I tried asking Ed this but he didnt reply to my convo. I know he doesnt like giving out cam info for free. I really just want to know if I should skip it since my intake isnt optimal. This is going in a 57 F100. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I'm interested in this cam too. For a carb setup it has to be special ordered. I found idle clips of it on YouTube. But nobody has posted dyno results or reviews. Would love more info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have a new set of GT40P heads from an explorer kicking around now that I am also interested in this as well. Idk if I have missed it or wasn't paying attention (this most likely) but I don't think I have saw allot of people talk about this cam.

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
790 Posts
It will be far from optimum if it was designed for the miles of length H.O. 5.0L EFI intakes using a carb style Vic Jr.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be far from optimum if it was designed for the miles of length H.O. 5.0L EFI intakes using a carb style Vic Jr.
i can't use a long length runner intake so everything is going to be far from optimal unless i get a cam with a 4000-8000 rpm range and that's not happening so I'm trying to find something that is good enough, not perfect.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I feel you. Intake track length is a big deal. Throw Ed some money and he will get you right. Similar cam but not the same. Otherwise do some homework.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know enough about cams and how runner length affects them to research them. That's why I'm asking. I'm not interested if doing a custom cam for a temporary setup. That's why I'm asking about off the shelf. I'll probably just use my e303 cam for now

·
Registered
790 Posts
Good buddy used an e 303 cam in a mint low mile 93 cobra. Many more upgrades later including heads and a Vortech supercharger it still was crap. Hated beating up on him with an old Mustang and a 289. But he wouldn’t listen so…. Moral of story is little things matter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know enough about cams and how runner length affects them to research them. That's why I'm asking. I'm not interested if doing a custom cam for a temporary setup. That's why I'm asking about off the shelf. I'll probably just use my e303 cam for now
Use the cam you have temporary set up to me means get it running. 👍

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is to get it running and in the road but I don't need it to make maximum power and I'm not racing it. Its an f100 that lays the body on the ground. I need it to sound good and not be a complete dog down low. A custom cam is not necessary. Maybe when i do aluminum heads but honestly, it will never need a custom cam.

Reactions: 65fasback

·
Registered
790 Posts
Lays the body on the ground? Helped my buddy build a ‘60’s nova wagon on air bags before it was really popular. Seen all around San Diego when we were partying and knocking reflectors off the road. Yeah, stupid for sure. He did have a ‘68 Camero with a 406 on race gas he built. Dad kicked Mickey Thompson’s booty in drag boats. Memories…

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My truck has mustang 2 front suspension and a monster notch in the back. Using a crown Vic computer to run it with coil near plug on a SBF. It's got a brand new modern 22 circuit harness, 8.8 rear, disk brakes all the way around. I built most of the airbag setup this year. Dual pumps , 3 gallon tank, d2500 and d2600 bags, 3/8 lines. On 19 inch stock California special mustang wheels and tires the body is about 3/4 of an inch off the ground with it level. I'm going to run 18s in the front and 20s in the back so it should lay the body on the concrete or be really close. Once i get all the work done, I'm taking it to Michigan so my brother can paint it.

·
USAF retired
9,626 Posts
Ive got a gt40 headed explorer motor with 4r70w w/2600 stall I am using until I build an aluminum headed engine a couple years from now. I am using an Victor JR single plane knockoff intake manifold with bbk shorties 2.5 inch mac pro chamber and 2.5 50 series mufflers cause im old and dont want it loud. My heads have Alexs parts .550 lift springs. ive been thinking of picking up a KR1A cam from Ed but not sure its worth doing with the intake manifold I am using. If I dont get that cam, Im gonna do an E303 that I have laying in the garage. I will be using the stock stamped rockers and picking up hardened pushrods with the KR1a. I tried asking Ed this but he didnt reply to my convo. I know he doesnt like giving out cam info for free. I really just want to know if I should skip it since my intake isnt optimal. This is going in a 57 F100. Thoughts?
What was your question to Ed?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What was your question to Ed?
If this cam would be OK to use with the setup I listed. I sent him a message 11 days ago, no response.

·
USAF retired
9,626 Posts
If this cam would be OK to use with the setup I listed. I sent him a message 11 days ago, no response.
Wonder how many of those he gets per day....

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I don’t think he has messages turned on here.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You would think it wouldnt let me send him a message if messages are turned off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts