Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the set up. 95 GT with a 306, GT-40 heads with all the bells and whistles, E-303 cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT-40 Intake, 70mm Throttle Body, 75mm mass air. And a long list of other goodies. So here is the problem. I have a knocking noise in the engine that can be heard while the engine is running setting still. And is still only a low knock when I am driving casual, but any sort of rapid acceleration and the knock gets louder and harder. I have gone through the disconnection of each plug wire at a time to see if the noise went away and it didn't. I'm told that is a good thing because that would indicate that since the noise didn't go away it rules out a connecting rod or anything that is in the block. I then checked the clearance of the Rocker arms and retorqued them again, noise still remained. So then I replaced the lifters and yet the noise still remained. Then I got to thinking that the noise started after I ran the car out of gas. My thought now is injectors (24lbs). Could I have sucked something up in there to clog one up? I dont drive the car as much as I should and it sits for months at a time and I have treated my other stang a lot worse than I have ever treated this one, so how could it be anything but simple? I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone may have on this.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Don't laugh! Boneyard Mechanic Science! If you don't have a stethoscope you can use a long screwdriver, placing the butt end to your ear and feel around with the other end. Touching the injector or valve cover with the sharp end, you should be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

If you think it is the valvetrain, you can try lighter weight oil. I have also unstuck lifters with kerosene- based solvents.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
848 Posts
hum how did the push rods look when you did the lifters? a motor noise is hard to diagnose over the net, you should take it to a reptuable shop for an opinnion they should not charge you to do this.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A rod/main bearing knock is pretty easy to distinguish from a lifter or rocker just by ear if you've heard it before. who put your motor together? My suggestion would be to see a mechanic, but I would guess that if it sounds like a "tic" it could be an exhaust leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts