Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, so for the past month ive had some knocking in the back of my car which was often times acompanied by wheel hop... the wheel hop would come while starting from a stopped position and the knocking would come from the 1-2 shift 2-3 shift and over bumps... so originally i thought this sound came from torn up torque boxes... i asked afew people and thats what they said they thought it sounded like... so i look under there and the flages look fine... so i give it to a buddy of mine to pop open the diff and check that out... no problems... well i had a set of new lower control arms i wanted to put in anyways (macs) so i decided to put em in with my friend today... well we get under there and loosen the driver side control arm to axle bolt... then as we go to do the passenger side one we see that there is no nut, just a bolt holding it... so this was most likely what the knocking was coming from... also my springs didnt have any insulators... so we dropped all the suspension made the fixes... tightened everything up as much as we could (no working torque wrench handy) so we get everything done and go for a spin... the knocking was gone (for the first 10 minutes) so i wanted to feel the handling with the new lowers... so i just messed around in the neighboorhood... took alittle left hand sweeper then a little drift... nothing big... but i noticed that with the new lowers i had much more control through throttle stear which i though was kind of neat... anyways back to the actual problem/question, so in a 30 minutes period of time the problem went from cured to close to as bad as it was before... except the knocking is now quiter then before however the wheel hop is very very bad... so now im wondering... im about 75% sure that what happened was that the nuts loosened then selves once the bushings fell into there place... is this most likely right? because it just got progresively worse... so well take off the wheels tommarow and tighten stuff down again tommarow anyhow... im just hoping that thats the problem and its not something un related...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way this isnt the car in my sig

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
After I installed my springs and control arms, my car developed a very bad wheel hop. It helped a little bit when I removed the quad shocks but I'm still not very happy with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did you check the upper control arm bushings? as well as the bushings in the diff itself.

Check the rear shocks for wear, and their bushings too. same thing for quad shocks

I used to have a horrible noise from my rear on some bumps and when corning or getting on it. It turns out one of the bushing in my upper control arm was pretty much gone and it was pretty much just a bolt thru a 2 inch hole holding it together :eek:

Needless to say i replaced them asap with a set of hotchkis upper and lowers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts