Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building an 8.8 for my nine second mustang. It has 9 inch housing ends, 33 spline axles and a spool.
I am wandering if I should go with a TA girdle cover, a steel bearing cap on the ring gear side and a stud kit for the bearing caps. Or if all of these parts would be overkill. The idea behind all three is to prevent the ring gear from wanting to "walk" out of the housing on hard acceleration and snapping off teeth.
I am going with the TA cover for sure. I just want to know if it will be enough or I should get the steel cap and studs also?

Thanks.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would at least do the stud kit for another $25. The bearing cap would be optional, but of the ones I seen they seem to be a great idea giving your peace of mind.

Another to consider which I often do is have your axle tubes welded to your center section, especially with the power level your talking. I have seen first hand at my local track what happens when they are not. Can you say 28" slick Jammed against rear fender causing body damage.

Good luck

JT

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
can you ourchase just the ford 9" rear end caps and install them on an 8.8??? if so where can i purchase these for my rearend buildup??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its not quite that simple for the 9" ends. Moser sells them, however you need to cut off the ends of the stock housing, index and weld on the 9" ends, which of course fit where the stock quad mount are, so you have to grind the quad brackets off. Then you go to a 9" bearing pressed onto the axle, and use a bearing retainer at the wheel end, conveniently eliminating the c clips while you're at it. Moser bearings are sealed, so you don't need a axle seal, however i have had grief with them leaking if they heat up at all from the brakes, so i'm trying to figure out hoe to mount an axle seal in there as well. Its nice not to have to drop the cover to yank the axles though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just go with the TA cover and the stud kit.
I'll also get the axle tubes welded to the center section at the same time I get the housing ends welded on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts