Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Cobra Intake on my s-trimmed stang (mods below). My question is, should i keep the Cobra Intake and get it extrude honed possibly or get a higher flowing one like a Performer RPM? If you think i should get a new one, which one do you think i should get. This will be street driven often and will see some track time. Let me hear what you think. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I were you the best intake for a blown stang is a Holley....its how they built the runners...its purrr-fic for a blower or a supercharger in a stang.....if you can ex-hone it.. do it!!.....however the only down fall izz looks....its doesent look to great compared to the GT-40 or others on the market... :evil:

·
Registered
505 Posts
i just changed from a cobra to a performer rpm. this is on a stock shortblock with the mods below. i really like it, it definitely woke my car up above 4000rpm. it did not lose all of the bottom end like i figured it would, but keep in mind my car only weighs 3200lbs. with me in it and i have 3.73's....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If I were you the best intake for a blown stang is a Trick flow....
Not true. The Holley Systemax out of the box outflows the Trick Flow manifold.

I'd say you would see decent gains with any of the three mentioned. Then you can install the Cobra on the A-Trim setup.

David

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much would it cost to get the Cobra Extrude Honed? Would the Trick Flow Track heat or the Peroformer RPM give me the best mid-high rpm power without sacraficing too much low-end?

Thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
Idon't know if I would spend the $$ on extrude honing it, just buy a new intake instead, you will be money ahead if you sell yours......

I don't see why the cobra wouldn't work, BBBad 5.0 uses a GT 40 on his S-trim car with stock ported heads and made 500 hp at the wheels. Check out his site:http://members.sigecom.net/Lorenz/bbbad50/dynojet/dynojet.htm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ludicrous Speed said:
Idon't know if I would spend the $$ on extrude honing it, just buy a new intake instead, you will be money ahead if you sell yours......

I don't see why the cobra wouldn't work, BBBad 5.0 uses a GT 40 on his S-trim car with stock ported heads and made 500 hp at the wheels. Check out his site:http://members.sigecom.net/Lorenz/bbbad50/dynojet/dynojet.htm
i know that the Cobra is a great intake for the combo that i have now but in the near future i'll be looking to get a set of Twisted Wedge heads and a cam so i'm thinking by that time it'll be time for a little higher flowing intake

This weekend there is a local swapmeet so i'll look for a good deal on a manifold.....which one do you think would be best?!

·
Registered
35,489 Posts
Do you have any fact-based data that's telling you that the Cobra manifold is the bottleneck to more air flow through the engine?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michael Yount said:
Do you have any fact-based data that's telling you that the Cobra manifold is the bottleneck to more air flow through the engine?
i'm just thinking ahead, like i mentioned in my last past, and since there is a swap meet this weekend (once a year thing) i figured i'd get some opinions on what would be good intake to see if i could find one for cheap at this meet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yo I have made a wrong recomendation....David was right the Holley Systemax is better than the trick flow for a intake system...looks like I had my wires cross..... while doing my investagation intakes....My mustang handbook says that the SVO Motorsport GT-40, Edelbrock or the saleen upper combined with 5.0 truck lower are the top intakes well into 500 hp range....anything beyond you will haft to go custom......

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i think that book may be out-dated

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at the April 2002 5.0 Mustang Magazines Intake Shootout article and the Performer RPM put out the most hp and had a decent low-mid range power, it put out 513 hp. The holley systemax had 510 but had horrible low-mid range power. Has anyone had experience with the Performer RPM? The only thing i'm concerned about is my low-end torque...and like i said before it will be driven on the street often. I'm so confused, let me hear so more opinions.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Another friend of mine runs the RPM on an NA 302 with TW heads, E cam, and 4:10s, he has plenty of low end, and it runs great up top also.....

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'll vouch for the Holley Systemax II

I rode in David's95 GT ride...........absolutely no bod at mid range. Infact, we were at 10lbs of boost before I could blink. Abslolutely no hicup through the windup!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
MinionII said:
i think that book may be out-dated

The book I was looking at was published in 1994 and is sold to this day by top speed shops and top mail order companys. www.brothersperformance.com, www.jegs.com,
www.summitracing.com
www.californiamustang.com and many others.....just because something is old doesent mean you should forget about it or you arnt able to use it anymore....anyhow Kid if I were you and I wanted to go all out like it sounds like you will later on I would go with a GT-40 intake and get it ex-hone.. When it comes to intakes they realy havent changed much over the years... The Gt-40 EFI manifold in my book are still the best over all because the design is able to handle a daily driver all the way too an all out race car. But thats just me..However this holly systemax 2 is looknn real good for the SC and turbo crowd so take a look at that one....:evil:

·
Registered
39 Posts
the holley intake is a great intake,so is the trick flow,i have a street trick flow intake,i wish i bought the track one.if i bought another one i'd buy a edelbrock perfomer and then buy the rpm upper too,then you can either change uppers if you buy a real serious set of heads or, you could swap uppers,blower pullies,whatever as like a race day tune up.i feel like my street intake is a restriction since i put an a-trim on my car,iknow i'm probably wrong but with a blower and gears i'd say go with a big intake.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
jamal said:
....anyhow Kid if I were you and I wanted to go all out like it sounds like you will later on I would go with a GT-40 intake and get it ex-hone..
The runners on the GT-40 are too thin for the extrude hone process. He'd have to use the Cobra intake for better results but in the long run, it wouldn't be worth the money. It'll cost about $600 for the intake to get extrude honed. He'd be better off getting a Holley and selling the Cobra. At least he'd make up some of the price difference.

Henry

·
Registered
130 Posts

From Edelbrocks web page. New for 03.

Performer 5.0 RPM II Manifold
The Performer 5.0 RPM II manifold for 1986-95 5.0L Mustangs has shown significant gains in horsepower over existing designs in the 1500 to 6500 rpm range, and is ideally suited for street and strip applications. This manifold consists of a V-shaped crossover with an increasing cross-sectional area, which passes over to eight large tapered runners. The upper manifold is powder-coated light titanium gray. Our 70mm throttle body is recommended. 1994-95 Mustangs require Throttle Body Adapter #3835 and Adapter Kit #8025. 50-state street legal for 1986-95 Ford Mustangs.

Performer RPM 5.0 II Manifold Part No.
For 1986-95 5.0L Mustangs #7123

·
Registered
26 Posts
HPLouis said:
The runners on the GT-40 are too thin for the extrude hone process. He'd have to use the Cobra intake for better results but in the long run, it wouldn't be worth the money. It'll cost about $600 for the intake to get extrude honed. He'd be better off getting a Holley and selling the Cobra. At least he'd make up some of the price difference.

Henry

Runners too thin?? Ok Lets just say that you are right. The runners inside the intake arnt like engine blocks that have pistons,super heat temps and other things that might cause wall falure...The only thing thats going through these thin walls you say is cold dense air...Yea i know you are like NO S*** but my point is the runners in a intake is quite frankly the only place you dont havft to worry about wall failure due to thin or weak walls....Furthermore I have seen in a musclemustangsandfastfords a guy who had a GT-40 intake with a extrude hone job done.... As far as the money goes I agree it does cost alot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts