Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I had saved all threads related to torque specs and information regarding upgrading from the 1500 to 2200, but know they no longer exist!

I want to know about the torque specs, along with the type of loctite material, and if the info about the missing bolt hole on the 2200!

I have the blower off the car now, and have starting polishing the manifolds! Is there any issues with removing the bypass?

Picture of polished KB manifold.

·
Registered
485 Posts
FWIW, I polished a set of KB manifolds about a year ago. I spent some time removing (with a belt sander, lol) the KENNE BELL castings. In the end they where polished manifolds, with no markings, just shiny aluminum. :D They looked VERY nice...Someone on corral bought the manifolds with a kit my dad put together, but I'm not sure who. Maybe he has pictures of them on the car.

I'm sure don will repost the torque specs and type of sealer to use, I think I remember what they are, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
rl said:
They looked VERY nice...Someone on corral bought the manifolds with a kit my dad put together, but I'm not sure who. Maybe he has pictures of them on the car.
That would be 'ttbit'.

20# of torque starting from the middle. Permatex 518, with activator.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey rl,

Why didn't you finish the elbow for me also. It looks like crap sitting next to that nice manifold!

:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
ttbit said:
Hey rl,

Why didn't you finish the elbow for me also. It looks like crap sitting next to that nice manifold!

:)
LOL! I got lazy! It wouldn't take much work to finish it up :)

Those look good on the car!:joy:

BTW, if you want to make them shiny again, hit them with some wadded aluminum polish and they will brighten right back up :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
LOL! I got lazy! It wouldn't take much work to finish it up

Those look good on the car!
Thanks. I meant to just get the Edelbrock elbow when it was $35, but was too late on the deal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks good! I am in the process of polishing my manifolds now. Here is a link to the pictures:

Polished Items

I asked this before everything was lost, but has anyone ever polished the KB Snout?

Also, has anyone ever done anything with the KB Manifolds in terms of porting the bottom of them where they mount onto the lower intake?

Thanks

ttbit said:
Not the best pic, but you get the idea!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Nice job on the manifolds, Rob.

I don't think there is any benefit porting teh KB discarge. i is basically just a big open plenum with a small casting of the port on the bottom. There are no individual runners to speak of. Which make me wonder if one could just cut off the piece at the bottom and be able to mount it to most lowers. As long as bolt holes line up - should be okay, I'd think. May need a middle piece for shape, but it is a thought :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
JAY95gt said:

I don't think there is any benefit porting teh KB discarge. i is basically just a big open plenum with a small casting of the port on the bottom. There are no individual runners to speak of. Which make me wonder if one could just cut off the piece at the bottom and be able to mount it to most lowers. As long as bolt holes line up - should be okay, I'd think. May need a middle piece for shape, but it is a thought :)
I've always wondered the same jay, they don't seem to be structural. What I want to do is use a stock lower manifold and discharge and remove the 'plate' on the bottom of the discharge. Then epoxy and port the stock lower, making the runners square, and knife edging the top of the ports.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would imagine you would have to come up with a different lower to upper intake gasket. They (kb) prob. don't want to mess with coming up with another gasket thinking their customers would want to be able to throw the unit on and run with it. Besides a rectangular gasket would have a harder time staying put during install than a stock GT or GT-40 gasket would.

Just my thoughts, Bret.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new 2200 has arrived!

What was the size fitting for the missing bolt hole in the 2200?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used a 7/16 ARP header bolt with some locklite to make sure I got a good seal. Actually started mine without bolt in and it cranked right up then had the most idle lope I have seen on a car and very loud whisle then covered hole with finger and fixed problem. But since my arm is not long enough to sit in car and reach blower would recommend bolt:p

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It depends what mood you catch them in! I feel I got an excellent deal.

Here is the 2200 after a little polishing.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I'm curious. Has it decided the "missing" bolt hole is needed and what airflow is gained by instead porting/trimming that section of the discharge? Looks a bit restrictive to me but very quick and limited boost measurements haven't revealed a restriction yet (no increased psi reading in this area). But I was also dealing with a processor and chip swap and a fan problem at the same time, so......

John

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Buonosuperchargedcobra said:
That polished manifold looks great, can I get some info on what materials you used.

I was able to fit a GT-40 strut tower brace on mine with a little tweeking.

Mike

I have often wondered if there was a strut tower brace that would fit with a KB blower. Yours is an SN95 correct? I wonder if I can get one to fit a fox bodied stang.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes mine is SN95. The only fit problem for earlier fox bodies that I know of is clearing the blower on driver side. I had to remove a section on bar for clearence when motor is torqued to the left from hard launches and during shifting. Have seen braces that are not connect in rear by one flat bar, which would enable you to have that section bent before connecting to fire wall. You'll have to post your results for the rest of the KB owners, though isn't yours a 351 motor which would need even more clearence on top.

Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts