Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did the SOTP meter tell you, and what times were you running before/after the install? What kind of power before/after?
Was your car stock before hand? If not, what mods did you already have?
I am asking due to the claims on the KB ads of being able to run 12.X in the 1/4 mile in a bone stock 87-93 Mustang with only the addition of the KB 1500 blower.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Mine felt like crap. Other then a little detonation, I didn't think I had more power.

Did some tuning....Holy Crap! Went to 3.55s and 1st and 2nd are useless, but fun on the street. Got a TKO to see if I could make 3rd useless also.

I doubt I could run 12's without very good tires. I did drop at least .6 off my 1/8 mi runs with the KB and no other mods though. That should tell you there was a power increase. My 1/8 time slip does not have the MPH, but I had to baby the crap out of it through 1st and 2nd. .6 seconds with no traction is pretty good, I thought.

Cold weather made a huge difference, I think. I will probably do water injection before summer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Come to Phoenix, spend some tourist dollars and I will let you try my stock 8lb KB. 302 RWHP 361 torque. Then you can decide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed a little increase in power at first. (I thought) Then I was driving at about 40mph, nailed it, and cut the tires loose and almost got it sideways. It didn't do that before. I do still need to get it tuned though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Go to my site if you haven't already.

[email protected] stock

Added KB1500, 255lph fuel pump, KB 80 mm MAF, KB chip (crap), 30#/hr injectors. That's it. Regualr street radials, 2.73 gears, exhaust everythign - ALL stock, no porting, nothing.

Best was 12.97 @ 109.5 in great air and a bunch of 13.0-13.1s @ 108ish. I was running about 10-11 psi (supposed to be 8-9 psi pulley)

First pass was [email protected] or somehting, then [email protected], 13.5 @103, 13.3 @ 105, then just kept chipping away at it. My site details every run I made after I put the blower on until I popped an HG not long after the 12 second pass. Got lazy and stopped wrting so much after that.

it is possible and it really isn't that hard to do ( I didn't think).

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I had my car running pretty good before I added the blower. I had heads and an intake, shorties, 65mm TB and gears. With that it went 13.4/97 or so. Adding the 1500, my first run I went a strip-scorching 13.2/103. It always felt real strong though. I was ready to drive it into the lake. The smart thing I did was listen to Jay and tweak it and tune it and learn to drive it again and listen to Jay some more. By the end of that season I went 12.2/110. I added a little of this and that over the winter. The beginning of the next season, the first run of the season, I went 11.9/114. I gradually played some more, added some parts and really learned how to launch and ended the season with an 11.4/121+. What's even more fun is that I improved my times just about every time I went to the track. I'm glad I listened to Jay, because he's now looking at my tailights!!! :D :D :D

This winter, I'm changing things and adding parts like crazy, so if all goes according to plan, I'll be back at 13.2 the first run of next season...:mad:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don 95Vert said:
I'm glad I listened to Jay, because he's now looking at my tailights!!! :D :D :D
Ain't that the truth :rolleyes:

Don 95Vert said:
This winter, I'm changing things and adding parts like crazy, so if all goes according to plan, I'll be back at 13.2 the first run of next season...:mad:
And, ain't THAT the truth :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just be a crew chief/driver and leave the building to someone else...someone with MONEY! :) 'i feel your pain' lol.

After all our changes, Don, maybe we can race each other to see who will get bak into the 12s the quickest. Then later in the year, see who can make it back to the 11s! :p

·
Registered
320 Posts
In response to the first time all I can say is TORQUE . I nailed the car in first and I was SUNK in my seat and that was with the stock 5lb kit!! Now I`m running 8lbs and after I get a dyno tune i`m going to 10lbs. Afraid to add this pully with the Kenn-bell crap chip. :joy:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttt

·
Registered
459 Posts
You can runs 12's with a 1500 KB on a bone stocker.. I know. I've done it..

When I first put my blower on my car, I had said to myself that I was going to drive it around easy for a couple of hundred miles.. To break the blower in.. When I completed the install and took the car on it's first test drive with 6 lbs of boost.. The torque gast the hell out of me.. I took the car straight to the drag strip :eek: .. I had to see what it would do..

My car had gone a a best of a 14.65 at 94 mph.. With just the 6 lb blower install it went a 13.41 at 104 mph.. With 2.73's on stock street rubber.. Remember.. This was back in 1995, and a 13.41 was absolutely awesome on stock street rubber..

I later switched to an 8 lb pull, and on a really good day ran some 12.90's at 108.. The car was 100% stock.. From the stock air meter..Thru the stock headers and 4 cats..Back to the 2.73 gears on stock street rubber..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had exhaust mods before installing the blower, but the car was basically stock. In my sig are links to before and after dyno charts and also more details regarding my setup. Pretty mild build, but I think it is perfect for the street. It is a daily driver and the "big block" feeling is excellent. Very smooth and great power. It is like the motor is bigger, more power at all rpms.

- Dan Thorne

·
Registered
555 Posts
My KB is on my 93 Lightning. When I installed it I felt a big differance and ran a 14.00 on stock tires and no traction bars. Not bad for a Truck. Now with my 427 stroker it's one bad a$$ ride. The Flowzilla inlet cured the inlet restriction.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
redlightningssf said:
My KB is on my 93 Lightning. When I installed it I felt a big difference and ran a 14.00 on stock tires and no traction bars. Not bad for a Truck. Now with my 427 stroker it's one bad a$$ ride. The Flowzilla inlet cured the inlet restriction.
What kind of power are you making now that you swapped in the Flowzilla? What times are you now able to run? What is the rest of the combination? T-body, MAF, etc?
I want to build a 427, but like the KB, too. It sounds like you have found a way to enjoy both:D :cool:

·
Registered
816 Posts
427Windsorman said:
What did the SOTP meter tell you, and what times were you running before/after the install? What kind of power before/after?
Was your car stock before hand? If not, what mods did you already have?
I am asking due to the claims on the KB ads of being able to run 12.X in the 1/4 mile in a bone stock 87-93 Mustang with only the addition of the KB 1500 blower.
I went from stock to heads, cam, KB 1500 and a Flowzilla. From what I remember I couldn't believe how easy it was to light up the rock hard Pep Boys tires I had on the car in the first three gears. I think I dyno'ed around 350 rwhp the first trip to the dyno with a JMS chip and running 8 psi. I dyno'ed 215-220 rwhp stock with pulleys, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
555 Posts
427 WMan
This Saturday I have a date with the dyno to see the gains of the Flowzilla.I went ahead and added a 90 MM TB, 80 MM MAF 42 # injectors Ford Mass Air kit.With the standard inlet I couldnt get passed 340 HP 470 RWTQ.It feels like it picked up 50 + but will see on Saturday.I had to replace the master cylinder with one that has the brake lines on the fender side to clear the 90 MM TB.My next project is to put a longer snout on the blower to run on a seperate belt. The blower pulleys get to small to make big boost on the stroker. I'll be able to run a 8" or bigger crank pulley to speed up the blower.Also have Snow water injection. Click on my web site butto below to see Flowzilla install. Later Alex

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, Alex. Please be sure to post your dyno results:)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am very interested in this topic as well. Looking for added power to my 91 stock motor 302 T5. I assume I'll have to get rid of my 3.73 gears and go to 3.27s or something like that. My car is not a track car and is really a weekend driver.

The big question I have is........is it even worth it to get the smaller 1500 unit or should you just go with blowzilla 2200 and run it at 8# with the upgrade option.

Lots of people who have the KBs seem to be automatics. Any feedback for manuals?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
3.73s are fine. That's what I run. I had them with my T5 also (running an auto now). The T5 is fine, except be prepared to break it eventually. Mine lasted a long time though.

If you want to run 8# get a 1500. They are good up to 12# or so and are more efficient than a 2200 (less heat). Many of us have have run 11s on 1500s-that makes for a real nice street car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok I think you guys helped me decide on a Kenny Bell also. I was torn between a KB & Vortech. Didn't want to punch a hole in the pan though.

WHere is the best place to buy a KB price wise ?

Heres my combo

92 Hatch AOD
373's, Eaton, Pullies, elec fan.

best time 15.0 @ 93mph

60' 2.3* (yes I need to learn how to launch this beeeach):D

·
Registered
941 Posts
If anyone is interested in a used 1500 (for 94-95), I could possbily be persuaded to sell it. I need to step my combo up. I've already exceed the limits of the 1500, but still having fun with it :)

I too ran mine with a T5 all this time (as did snorman, Bellman Jeff, etc.) Most us us have gotten fast enough to decide to go automatic for better consistency and also since we were pushing (or pushed) the limits of the T5. I wanted to sell mine before it broke. I pick up my new converter today - hopefully that will get my car back where it should be.

I can't say I picked up anything with the 3.73s, but I didn't want to risk driveline breakage running 2.73s and slicks in a heavy car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts