Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 95 GT.

Anyone have any info on the KB Blowzilla Twin Screw? KB's site say 6-18psi/675HP on the Blowzilla, any way to wring out more hp? Also I'm guessing the Twin Screw replaces the intake manifold, correct?

·
Registered
24,677 Posts
Doubtfull you'll wring out more peak power, HP, (non-intercooled), but it's the area under the curve (integration) that is it's selling point. and yes it replaces the upper plenum. looks like this

And no that's not me, but a good friend. and the car is mine.:)

·
Registered
24,677 Posts
AAAHHHHHH...... it only took one response for that question.

I'm not even going to attempt to answer it.
All i have to say is that i had been contemplating/researching for 2-3 yrs centrifugal vs KB vs Twin turbo, and for ME the best choice was the KB.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I went with KB because my car is for street fun. I can tell you, absolutely, the torque is early, instant, and incredible...

For the track, or for rev-happy folks, a cent is nice but it pulls a bit like a turbo (because it is basically a belt-driven turbo) and while the KB kicks in at 1000rpm, literally, the cents really start to wind up after 3000rpm... I just didnt want to wait for the engine to get there before I felt a strong shove so I went KB.

Peak power numbers are generally higher with a cent, but overall average power is quite competetive with KB.

The two feel completely different so u should try to experience both...

Just my 2 cents

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been in a cent. supercharged car. I have noticed it takes a while for the blower to really give you a kick in the arse and get the car moving.

I guess I'll look more into the KB.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To buy this back up with some new questions.
Where can I get an Intercooler to go with the KB blower?
Also since I a bit of a noob to this, what kind of fuel and engine management mods are needed at a basic 8psi but still have room for improvement.

·
Registered
597 Posts
A KB doesnt allow for an intercooler. I've seen exactly ONE (on here) air-water that was home made, and a good looking job too. Dont know how good it works though. The adiabatic efficiency of a KB (the amount it heats the air due to friction) is claimed to be 85%, (compared to a centrifugal which is 60% or 65% adiabatic efficient) but that doesnt include compression heating which is an unbreakable law of physics. Its the small amount of extra heating that makes it acceptable without an I/C and many many KBs are running and making good power.

As to fuel management, the "FMU" which is a 50cent name for a 10 cent fuel regulator is actually pretty good. I ran one on my 12psi turbo 4cyl setup, but it was an adjustable one that I could fine tune, bought from cartech. I set it by fuel pressure, (6lbs fuel pressure added for each 1lb of boost, 117lb total fuel pressure) at various boost points and also adjusted rate of rise and got 185whp out of 1.6 liters with no computer mods. I did have a J&S for knock protection though.

If you get a bigger MAF and larger and matching injectors then you can run without the "FMU" I have to LAUGH at that name! "Fuel Management Unit" jeeeeeez its a simple diaphragm fuel pressure regulator, with the atmosphere site hooked up to a vac/boost tube.

I ran my KB at first with big maf and injectors and no "FMU" and the car was strong, but a little lean down low.

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm going to run bigger injectors.
KB makes a switch chip and 80mm meter. Should I look into buying that for running the whole set up? I'm guessing they can tune it to the injectors in the car.
Or spend the money to have a custom burnt dyno tuned chip?

·
Registered
597 Posts
First, I would buy the KB from www.kennedysdynotune.com if you want good service. Also, I have heard "mixed reviews" on the "switch chip" option. You may want to do a search on that, or get a chip from a dedicated chip maker. Kennedys can dyno tune your car and make a chip. Don LaSota can make a chip also mailorder and he knows KB tuning really well. There are other mail order chip makers too, some good, some not. You dont even HAVE to make a chip for 8psi, but its the best way. You can run bigger maf and injectors, go to a local dyno and check your air fuel ratio to see that its not too lean, and go with it.

Lots of choices...

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Chris.

I want to ask another question. Since the KB replaces the upper intake. What can I do the lower intake to get it to flow better?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Anthony, I have a GT40 lower. The KB can be bought to bolt onto either the stock lower or the better flowing gt40 style. I am having Tom Moss do a port and cleanup job for $125, which I think is a good compromise vs a full-on $300+ cut/weld port job, or nothing at all.

Chris

·
Registered
597 Posts
I really shouldnt answer that because I have nevef drag raced. My car is a street and track car, and not a drag car per se. Anyway, I can say that generally, since the KB makes so much power down low, across the rpm range, 4.10 sounds like too much gear. I run 3.27 FWIW, on 22.5" diameter tires...

Chris

·
Registered
597 Posts
I could spend $700 bucks to upgrade my KB1500 with the Flowzilla intake, but I'd still need to do something about the GT40 flow, and thats only $150 total cost.

If I get Flowzilla it will as part of a KB2200 Blowzilla...

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't the Flowzilla inlet only bolt to the GT-40 manifold?

My car is going to be a street car mostly with some drag mixed in. It's either 3.73s or 4.10s. Which would be better?

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Flowzilla bolts to the back of the blower on the inlet side. The exit manifold is the one that bolts to the GT-40. The Flowzilla inlet flows more air.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts