Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 403 RWHP using the stock ignition .035 gap plugs on a KB 10 psi, 331 stroker, AFR165 and the car seems to run pretty well. How much if any power would I gain by upgrading to an aftermarket ignition like the crane hi-6? How do you know when you need to upgrade the ignition?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The only thing I can help you with is, DAVE from JDS swears on stock ignition, he has ran many different stangs in the 9's with a completely stock ign.

With that said I have the hi-6 ignition and like the look and the piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have a MSD Digital Plus-6 and it makes no difference and would save your money. I only have it because of the features not the ignition part of the box.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt, thanks for the responses. I have seen the claims about Jacobs ignition systems (I guess if they were true all new cars would use their system) and heard about others using MSD and Crane HI-6 but was hoping to hear from users to see if there was any improvement by making the change and if the improvement was quantified by before/after dyno pull or 1/4 times. Maybe none of the aftermarket ignition systems are really much better than stock or they would have backed up their claims with dyno results in their advertising.

Anyone else have these ignitions?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a Holley Strip Annihilator, only reason I still use it is for the soft rev limiter. I am running a 0.042 gap though. Also, I may hook up my inline fuel pump to 1 of its 2 rpm switches, so it has some side benefits.

I think I notice a difference in the upper RPMs, but the stock ignition just plain runs more responsive/smoother under 4000rpms. If your coil is old, I'd just upgrade to a better coil.

·
Registered
365 Posts
you probably wont gain anything !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts