Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my c-4 from jw , I notice they installed a soft plug in opening where speedo cable goes. have any of you heard of this ? can I take out the plug and use my speedo ?? this c-4 is mostly for street use & jw was aware of this when I made the order . they will be open monday but was hoping someone could help today .:confused:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My Dynamic came with a small freeze plug type thing in the speedo hole. I used a sharp punch and poked through it at an angle so I could wedge it out. Just make sure you don't push it into the trans.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so after you removed the plug , there was still a gear to run speedo? I can't imagine a reason for them to remove it , but I've seen some strange things in the aftermarket world!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Yup, mine too. The worm gear portion of the set-up is machined into the output shaft so just knock the plug out and slide the speedo gear in. It should all be the same.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very cool , many thanks for the imput! ya made my day .happy racing !! "no such thing as fast enough"

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:( I got bummer news from jw , they said my c4 has no provision to run speedo:( :( :( ...........:lol: but they did say autometer makes an elect. pulse speedo 5" so now I really need the mc machine aluminum dash plate as it is perfect for this speedo among other gauges.:joy: :joy: :joy: any one out there got a dash plate for sale ? I would pay $250.00 for one !!:evil:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I don't understand why JW would remove the drive gear from the trans but I guess different companies do different things for unknown reasons. My Dynamic is a full race trans and it still had the gear. All I had to do was install the old T-5 cable drive mechanism and that was that. Anyway, good luck and I hope it works out OK for you.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand either , my c4 is also a fully rollerized super comp ( minus a trans brake )trans with all the good stuff . they say ok to handle my big block with spray up to 1100 hp .the only thing I can think of is the output shaft is also an aftermarket piece with no provision for speedo . I am going to take out the plug anyway just to verify, does'nt hurt to look. I'm not thrilled about using a elect pulse speedo but what do you do? I can't put a car like that on the street & guess how fast I am going!this car will be a cop magnet........sigh......makes me wonder why I ditched my c6 thats now laying on my garage floor fully rebuilt with 0-miles. just trying to free up some ponies I suppose.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Weird, must have swapped output shafts too.

You could always just RPM drive it. Find out what RPM is what MPH and keep it steady...or in that ballpark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts