Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got everything off ok, coulda went a little smoother had I of known the bolts on the wire looms had to come off. Anyways I got everything disassembled and the gaskets on the imrc plates seemed too big for the groove. I played with it enough and got it to fit, sat them down and put on the top gaskets then the lower manifold. As I was putting on the LAST bolt of the lower I noticed that the IMRC cable was stuck under the side of the lower manifold. After a few choice swears I got everything disassembled again and noticed that now both upper and lower gaskets on the IMRC plates were ripped...****ing great! I threw everything together just to get the car on my side of the garage for the week. Thing idles at 3400rpm and you hear the vaccum leak BIG TIME. Anyways I was wondering if anybody had any tips on keeping the IMRC cable on the back side of the intake, and a good way of keeping the gaskets in place. How much do new lower gaskets cost from ford? Will the new ones be bigger then the groves like the old ones were? Also can somebody post a pic of their engine bay or atleast the upper intake so I can see how all the hoses are routed.

thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What plates do you have? Mine had two hard gaskets with the rubber seals bonded to them and they had aligning pins to make sure they go on properly. Do you have the type that is just the rubber seal pushed into the plates?

James

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
New upper gaskets are about $11 each and new lower gaskets are about $8. Both are usually in stock at most dealerships.

As for reassembly, buy four (4) long metric bolts that have the same thread size as the main intake bolts. Cut the heads off and use the remaining studs as alignment studs. Screw two studs into each head where the two side bolts screw in.

The new gaskets will fit prefectly in the IMRC plates. The old ones were just swelled a bit from being in contact with fuel. Be sure to use some brake cleaner to clean all the oil from the gasket grooves. This will help provide some friction to hold the new gaskets in place. If you want a little assurance that the gaskets will stay in place, use a few small dabs of RTV gasket maker between the lower gaskets and the IMRC plates. However, with the alignment studs, the plates don't move around during assembly so the gaskets tend to say in place.

I get the IMRC's in place on the studs, attach the cables to the plates while holding the intake over the plates and then lower the intake onto the studs.

Remove the studs and install the OE bolts and you're good to go from there.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
135 Posts
On mine, I just lifted the fuel rails out of the way and tie wrapped them to stuff on the firewall. When I re-routed the IMRC cables around the fuel lines and wire harness the way I took it apart, the fuel lines held the IMRC cables in the right orientation so I could drop the manifold straight down.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
How much **** was in there Mikey?

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James-the lower gaskets were the soft ones that fit into a groove. The top ones were the hard plastic with the gasket bonded to them. You should have it setup the same since you got a 98, no?

Dave- thanks for the help and the price quotes. The stud Idea sounds like a plan. I kept bugging out cause everytime I would line everything up the plates would wind up moving when I tried lowering the lower mani. down. Also, I have a good amount of buildup on the valve stems on the secondary ports. You think I can just throw a small rag down the port, wrap it around the stem and spray it with carb cleaner? If any carb cleaner or carbon deposits enter the combustion chamber will it just be burned up and spit out?

snake-I tried just about every combination of "what goes where" and everything caused the parts to shift. Then when I finally got them down and bolted I had the cable caught up in the mix.

andy- the gunk on the stem just about doubled it in size, pretty crazy considering the primary port had NO residue at all. The stuff that I sprayed out of the intake was bad enough to leave a dark ass stain on the sidewalk. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
479 Posts
yea, I got owned by those same gaskets when I was cleaning mine. Ended up getting all four new ones from Ford just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mine is the same setup.

FYI, kinda late but...

Next time your gasket swells up and wont fit, soak it in brake fluid for about 15 minutes, it will shrink back down and you can re-use it.

James

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have some gaskets laying around Mikey....I can send them up to you if you need them...I sent you a pic of the intake from the drivers and passengers side...

·
Registered
675 Posts
My gaskets stretched out when I disassembled the intake, but if you leave them alone for about 24 hours they will shrink back into shape. Yours obviuosly need replacement just my experience.

Regarding reassembly, once those soft gaskets "unstretch" they fit in the grooves nicely and stay there. They never fell off or moved on me once they shrank back.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,411 Posts
I called the dealership a couple days ago to get a price on the gaskets. They said $17 for each of the lower gaskets, $19 for each of the uppers, and $40 for the cover gasket. :eek:

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill- Not sure if you got my e-mail but I picked up new gaskets already. Thanks for the offer though bud.

DS97- Yeah I think with the new gaskets it will be much easier to put back together. I still went ahead and picked up some bolts to try what Dave suggested.

Trav-wheww good thing my intake hat gasket is still good :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts