Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All i have to say is wow, I got my new mag yesterday, and I hope ford stays on the the same road they are on now. They state that it went a 12.67 @110 in to head wind on street tires back to back . I can't wait to see one of these with a exhaust, filter, bigger t.body,gears and some drs, you know, the norm mods for any gear head. Thats one car i won't mind getting my a... handed to me by.

I think with those mods i bet that the car will be in low 12s even 11s, ain't no thing chicken wing

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
guess i havent received that issue yet. i thought it would be faster though. hell, my 93 should hit that et this next time at the track. i still want one though

·
Registered
132 Posts
whens the mag hit the newstands? i might have to sleep over at the store so i can get the first copy!:lol: :joy: :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
When i got my magazine this past weekend and read that article i was besided myself... i dropped to floor and did the Curly! 12.67 on factory tires is insane! Im saving up my pennies for a future purchase!

·
Registered
499 Posts
did you guys see the weight w/ driver? 3934 lbs
Come here Shamu, I'll harpoon your big @ss!!

Sweet car though, wish I could afford 1.

·
Registered
86 Posts
:D Four thousand Lbs. and a 2.0 60 ft. and still pulling 12.60's, damn wtih some traction and bolt-ons, we're talking awesome. I want one!!!!!hehehehehe, What's up now LS1's:evil:

·
Registered
76 Posts
For all of those out there that are waiting to purchase an 03... Get a used 99 or 01 and slap a supercharger on it... youll save enough over the cost of an '03 for a possible rebuild if needed (the 4.6 seems to take boost rather safely, even at 10.1:1 compression, so you probably wont even have to rebuild) and you'll probably be putting out much more power than the '03.

Still, those times are very impressive for such a heavy car... I was surpirsed the thing weighs 2 tons! Wow!

·
Registered
73 Posts
01ConvCobra said:
For all of those out there that are waiting to purchase an 03... Get a used 99 or 01 and slap a supercharger on it... youll save enough over the cost of an '03 for a possible rebuild if needed (the 4.6 seems to take boost rather safely, even at 10.1:1 compression, so you probably wont even have to rebuild) and you'll probably be putting out much more power than the '03.

Still, those times are very impressive for such a heavy car... I was surpirsed the thing weighs 2 tons! Wow!

Lets see.. to get the reliablility on your used 99 or 01 that the 03 has built into it, you will need a new tranny, the supercharger, intercooler, and beefed up rearend.. next get some bigger tires.. etc etc etc..

whoa nellie, you've just spent more than the cost of the 03, and you don't have any warranty at all..

·
Registered
253 Posts
For all of those out there that are waiting to purchase an 03... Get a used 99 or 01 and slap a supercharger on it... youll save enough over the cost of an '03 for a possible rebuild if needed (the 4.6 seems to take boost rather safely, even at 10.1:1 compression, so you probably wont even have to rebuild) and you'll probably be putting out much more power than the '03
this is true but if we wanted more hp for less $$ then why shouldn't we just buy a 93 stang and put a 347ci+ motor in it with a blower and have more hp for even less $$$ then getting the 01 and supercharging it!
the o3 also has a t56 trans, forged rods and pistons, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft,warranty,etc. jmho.
Leon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought the '03 in MM&FF had a roll cage...that definately adds some weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Blue2003Cobra said:

Lets see.. to get the reliablility on your used 99 or 01 that the 03 has built into it, you will need a new tranny, the supercharger, intercooler, and beefed up rearend.. next get some bigger tires.. etc etc etc..

whoa nellie, you've just spent more than the cost of the 03, and you don't have any warranty at all..
Ummm... I dont know what you would pay for a USED car, but that is up to you. And no, you wouldn't have to buy a new tranny to have a reliable 01 cobra with a supercharger. Therefore, we're looking at the cost of a USED car, and a supercharger with intercooler ($3500-$5000) If your a sucker, this combination could cost you more than the '03 asking price of $35,000 MSRP plus markup (which sounds like it will be on average another $3000) for a whopping $35,000-$38,000.
Giving you another $3,000 to spend on any parts you felt necessary to "get the reliability" comparable, you would have to spend 28,000 on the used car to make it more expensive... So in summary lets do the math here...

Intercooled Supercharger: 3-5 K
Assorted "Reliability" Parts (whatever that means): 3 K

Thats 6-8 K so far

35,000 - (6 to 8K) = 27-29 K to spend on the used car to MATCH the cost of a new 03 Cobra... That happens to be the MSRP of the 99 and 01 Cobra new! I would expect you would be able to pick one up for much less than this by now! Plus, you get more power, the ability to mod to your hearts content, and the satisfaction of creating this power combo yourself. This option is of course not for everyone, but is still an option.

You do have 1 good point - No warranty. However, how many future '03 owners do you expect to keep everything PERFECTLY stock? My guess is very few. Make 1 change to your new Cobra, and wave goodbye to that warranty! That means a pully, driveline mods, anything they could use as an excuse to not service your car. Yes, I am aware this is illegal, but has that stopped any dealerships? No, it has not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
46stang said:

this is true but if we wanted more hp for less $$ then why shouldn't we just buy a 93 stang and put a 347ci+ motor in it with a blower and have more hp for even less $$$ then getting the 01 and supercharging it!
the o3 also has a t56 trans, forged rods and pistons, aluminum flywheel and driveshaft,warranty,etc. jmho.
Leon
Hey, another very good way to get the performance of the new '03 cobra... Just thought they might want the looks as well.

All I'm saying guys is that the '03 cobra is a great accomplishment for Ford, but most people will not be able to afford it. You can get the same performance with aftermarket parts for a lot cheaper! And people have been doing it for a long time now.

Anyway, I am done making my point. Back to glorifying the new '03 Cobra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts