Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AFR 165s to put on top of my DSS 306.

I have a few install questions:

1) Most literature on head installs says use a 30W oil on the head bolt threads to get a proper torque. AFR says to use a moly-oil mixture to the washers and area around the head bolt, but nothing about putting it on the threads. AFR says put sealer on the bolts that go into water jackets. I assume that means on the threads?...but wouldn't that mess up the torque readings?

2) Head gaskets- I've seen that a lot recommend fel-pro 1011-1(including AFR), but all I could get from Advance/Auto zone was fel-pro 8548PT2. Does it really matter?

3) Intake manifold gaskets- I've got fel-pro 90361, which seem to match nicely to the AFR heads, however when placed on my Edelbrok Performer intake (carb), there is quite a bit of aluminum showing on both sides. This should be OK because it flows from the smaller into the larger, but should I go ahead and smooth those sides out so they more gradually blend tot he gasket and Intake port on the AFR head?

4) Exhaust gaskets- I have Mr. Gasket Ultra seals 5930, and they match the flowtech shorties pretty good, but the exhaust ports on the AFR heads are much more circular, which causes a big obstruction when the gases flow from the head to the header. Even if I trim my gasket to get it more circular, or get another gasket, I would need to blend the sides of the header to allow a gradual transition down. Is there another shorty header I should use? I'd like to make mine work without spending more on another set.

Any other advice?

Thanks.

J.C.

·
Banned
6,256 Posts
1. do exactally what arp says if your using their bolts.

2. either will work good.. but autozone can get any of the felpro one's u just have to order.. so which ever u want man.

3. port the intake yourself.

4. get a little grinder and bit and go to work!

·
Registered
33 Posts
you don't ever want the gasket to be the obstruction so do what you have to do to avoid that. on my afr 185's i had to put sealer on the threads going to the water jackets so make sure that you do that. 30w oil will work just fine for the torque

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Be careful on which head gasket from FelPro that you use. One is for aluminum heads and the other is for iron. The one for iron will dig into the aluminum a bit and you will have to get them shaved a bit to get rid of it after you take them off...if you ever have to.

I don't remember which FelPro is for which 1011-1 or 1011-2. Ask your builder or whomever your buying from. This happened to me on my last combination and I had to have my engine builder shave my old AFR 165's a bit to get rid of it before I sold them.

I used number 2 sealant (the black non hardening) on my water jacket head bolts and it worked great. I would go with whatever AFR, Ed Curtis, etc. says to use. I think they have this information on their site.

If you want to make sure you're getting the proper torque numbers on these bolts then it is good to make sure the threads are chased and you use a little lube on them. I know you can't really do in on the lowers that go through the water jackets but you should come real close to the recommended torque specs. I actually shot for 5 lbs more on all the head bolts and it worked well for me. It beats having to take them off again for a blown head gasket.

Best of luck to you.

Ed Stettin

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
You can get teflon sealer from NAPA or any other auto parts store - you definately want to use that on the bottom row of bolts. Definately use oil on the threads that aren't getting the sealant. The lower row of bolts has a different torque spec than the uppers - check the AFR spec sheet and use their torque specs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just measured the AFR 165 exhaust ports and they are 1.34x1.38. The ports on my flowtech shorties are 1.17x1.64. I was going to try to open them up some on the sides to equal the 1.34 width of the AFR's, but then it looks like there won't be much room left for the gasket to seal by the bolt holes.

Should I go ahead and open them up and hope it seals? should I just leave it, but then that would seem to be a big obstruction for the exhaust flow? Is there another brand of shorty headers that has a more round exhaust port to match the AFR's?

Also, AFR recommends the Felpro 1415 exhaust gasket for 165 and 185 heads., but the literature for those gaskets says it has 1.25x1.48 port openings...that's too small (width-wise) for the AFRs.....what gives?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have used either ARP sealer or oil! Both will work fine,depends
what Im building,or mood Im in?Take care.

head gasket (1011-2)
intake gasket (1250)

·
Registered
418 Posts
t-trim 93 said:
I have used either ARP sealer or oil! Both will work fine,depends
what Im building,or mood Im in?Take care.

head gasket (1011-2)
intake gasket (1250)
I use the parts listed above and use 1415 for the exhaust.

The 1011-2 is for aluminum and the 1011-1 is for iron heads according to the catalog.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
leave the head and intake ports alone, or have them ported by a professional

I've used copper permatex to seal the lower studs on my 302's, and also use the same in place of an exhaust gasket with good luck

AFR reccomends felpro gaskets because they're easily available everywhere...they also OK serveral other gasket options including sce, rol, cometic, mr gasket, etc

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I use ARP moly and ARP teflon sealer on all the motors I deal with, when using their bolts it ensures proper torque. Yes you also want to use the moly on the washer face, it does effect the torque.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the Felpro 1011-2 head gaskets and 1415 exhaust gaskets. The exhaust gaskets are still a little smaller (width) that the exhaust port on the heads. Should I cut the gasket to match? Since the port openings on the header are also a little smaller (width), should I open them up a bit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
cut the gasket, grind the header flange

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have heard of people just using high temp sealent and no exhaust gasket to get rid of exhaust leaks from the header. I'm going to try this when I get my TW heads for $940.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts