Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I just got my 16 gallon fuel cell in the mail (UPS), and I was wondering, I bought the cell w/ the safety foam. Well, I opened the box and was expecting to see the fuel cell, along w/ the foam on the side.
So is this foam supposed to be on the inside? I understand it'd help safety wise, but I was expecting the foam to be external to "cushion" the cell, so I guess I'm mistaken, correct? The foam is supposed to be on the inside?

I'll post some pictures after I get my camera hooked up to the laptop :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes. The foam helps prevent fuel sloshing on hard launches. It also help to keep the fuel near the pickup, much like a baffle in a stock tank does.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool :)

I'm currently installing it, or at least, prefitting it. I'm cutting out that "hump" in the spare tire well right now, and I'm considering making a box for it to replace the factory spare tire well. Not sure what I'm going to do! Perhaps John91coupe and FordFreak can give me some more suggestions :)

I bought some (what I think is) 1" by 1" angle iron (each side is 1") but I'm not sure if I can use that, or if I should get some bigger angle iron.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FordFreak300:

Now how do I go about making that "bracing" for it? I'm currently cutting out that "hump" in the spare tire well, but I could also, as you suggested in another thread, put in a whole nother piece of metal there. Did you mean earlir (few weeks back) that I just weld angle iron or something under that metal, which is under that car, and "anchor" the fuel cell to that via those "c bracket" things? :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
the easiest way is to cut the spare tire well out and weld the angle iron to the frame of the car running across to the other side of the frame you will only need two pices of angle iron this way. you may also weld some angle iron in betwwen those to make a box if you wish. non odf the plastic can be exposed to the oitside air. Yuo have to make metal sump in the sheet metal so the sup of your fuel cell sits in the back of that. The very back of the fuel cell sump may be exposed to the outside air but the front and sides must be enclosed in metal. The metal does not have to actually touch the sides of the fuel cell. measure out where yuo are putting yoru braces so as you put yoru "C" brackets in they bolt to the angle iron.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I weld the angle iron to the sheetmetal of the trunk, or do I weld the angle iron to the actual frame/chassis of the car? Thanks for your help! :)

I think Summit or someone sales a piece I can put over the sump, I think it's the same one as John91coupe's :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here's one pic of the underside, I'll post some more pics in a second :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here's where I need to "massage" the two bumps if I wanted to maintain the stock tire well for the 16 gallon fuel cell, but I think I'm just going to do what you were saying FordFreak :)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's the fuel cell, sitting on a small air compressor :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Cut the whole spare tire well out. Weld the angle iron from frame/chassis to the otehr side of the frame/chassis

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mean to bug you still but,
I'm basically going to weld a new "well" in there, and use the angle iron to support it up under it? I'll work on it, tack it in place, and post pictures :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
sounds good, give me an idea when you are going to post pics and I will makes sure I check or shoot me another PM when you post them. And your not bugging isn;t the whole idea of this board to help each other? :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yes yu are going to cut the entire spare tire whel well out then weld the angle iron in across from the frame rail to the frame rail, this will support the new sheet metal and serve as mounting for your fuel cell.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, how's this look? Do I need to cut off the area where the stock metal starts going "down" or can I just cut out the "flat part" at the bottom of the well like in the pic, and weld in a new piece to the bottom?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
last but not least, you FordFreak, or anyone else,

how do I tell what guage steel it is? is there a tool I can use or how do I tell? :D Is it 20 guage?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
honestly i cant; rememebr what the guage is you can take a piece with yuo when you go get the new sheetmetal and then just match it. you can messure it with a micrometer if yu have one. Yuo cut off the well atht e top where it starts to turn down. I like where yu have the angle iron at. just make sure the angle iron is welded in where the holes on the C braces are so yu can drill through it. I would sugest after you weld the angle iron in to mock up the c brakets and go ahead and drill the wholes then when you weld the sheet metal in yu can go from the underside to drill through the sheet metal.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it's alright if I have the cell "in a well" though right? in other words, I'm just remaking the spare tire well bigger and stronger?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
yes you can do that if you wish. as long as yuo put the angle iron from the frame across to the frame to bolt it to, yuo can get as creative as you like

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
well fast hwo is the fuel cell comming along? I'm curious to see pics too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts