Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a traction problem so bought DR's to fix it but no luck. I swapped the 18s with 295/35 BFG's from my other car since the sumitomo's didn't work so well last time ( see sig) Wanted to make a couple of passes with them before I put the DR's on.

Was the first down the cold track tonight, ran [email protected] with a 2.17 60ft time. I was very happy with that and backed it up with a 13.4 with a 2.2 60ft. Parked car put DR's on and figured 12.9s would be no problem. NOT......

First two passes sucked, spun tires and missed 3rd. I did managed a 2.0 60 ft the pass I missed 3rd but that was the best 60 of the night. The last two passes were the best et of the night.
[email protected] with a 2.1 60ft and [email protected] with a 2.1 60ft. On these last two I had the Pro M 80 on it, the other passes had the stock one. Only pick up one tenth in the 60 with DR's ?? Does this track suck or me? Maybe both. I think I did good to get 13.3 on 18s but I sure don't understand the other's. I may have started to fry my clutch doing burnouts trying to get these to hook, one more thing to do. But at least I drove it home.

FWIW: My buddy with a 99 cobra and like mods except offroad pipe ran a best of 13.4 @104. He has 17 inch DR's and his best 60 was a 2.1 .

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
i had the exact same problem. i lowered my 60 ft time by about 1 tenth with the DR's. go to the drag racing forum on here and u will see my post. lots of good advice was given.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
What size DR's are you using? What air pressure?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Heya,

Bob's questions are what we need to know about.... if you're running 18 inch drag radials...good luck getting low 60 foot times with them...there is not much sidewall there to flex for bite.

If you are running 15's to 17 inch drag radials..you should be able to pull AT LEAST a 1.8 60 foot time with correct tire pressure and launch technique.

Many of us run 12 to 15psi of tire pressure in drag radials when we race at the track. Could this have been your problem? Personally, I ran nittos DR's for the last 2 years..and found that I had to heat them up pretty good to get them to work initially..then they would get pretty sticky.

You should also know that if your drag radials are brand new, you will need to break them in a bit for a few hundred miles before traction is optimal. Let us know what size drag radials you are using =) Hope this helps some...

Later,

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 F150 SuperCrew

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

These are brand new 275/50/15s ( BFGs) on 15x8 telstars. I put them on at the track so they had no miles on them. The first time I went around the water, tried to do a burn out but just slid the front tires. ( skinnies) Next time I went through the water, was able to sit there and burn them but they never smoked. On the last two passes I was able to get them a little hotter.

What sucks is I can only bring it up to 3500 and then I had to baby it out because it would break loose. That's not much better than my 18 inch street tires, with them I smoke the clutch at 2500. My friends at the track said I was frying them, even in second. When they hooked in second the rpms were low enough that the car would bog. The car sure runs like a mother on the big end though, check out the 108.8 mph with the DR's. My friend in the 99 cobra would blow by me in the 1/8 but I returned the favor at the other end.

I started out with 18lbs and dropped down to 15 lbs.

As far as street tires go I found out you get what you pay for. I love these BFG G-force 18s. I went from 2.3/2.4 60ft with the sumitomo's to the 2.1 on a cold unpreped track.

Any help with what to do with the DR's is appreciated. ( other than flying Bob in :D )

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok I run same tire but on a 10 "rim currently(they us to be on 8s)

15psi should do fine. For burnout put car in 2nd, you only need to see a little smoke from the BFG's. I let car spin on out of water box untill they grab then roll into staging beams(no dry hops). Since you have 4.10s you are going to need to play with tire pressure and launch RPM untill you find the right combo for your car. Also try slipping clutch at start to avoid breaking tires loose.

I launch at 3500 and still see nice 1.80-84 sixties on worn out BFG's. Very rarely do they break loose unless track hasnt been prepped good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Practice

I found out your just going to have to practice, I have better 60 FT times on regular radials than I do drag radials... I only have 2 passes on teh Drag Radials, its just goin to take a few passes to find out what works... just make sure you heat them up.. My friends SS camaro runs 1.59 60 FT on 17 in BFG DR's.. but they look like slicks now.. roll into the water.. give your tires a quick spin to wet them.. pull out of the water and burn em in 2nd gear. You'll hear them start to bite (screech) a little bit... stop and roll up to the lights... and go for it. Good luck.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
I don't know what to tell you, guy. I run the same 275/50/15 BFG DRs on 15"x8" ARE steelies @ 12-14psi. I ran pretty consistent low 1.8 60fts with my stock clutch in. I haven't been doing as well with my new clutch, as it can be tricky to 'slip' out (plus I've only made about 10 passes with it, so not much practice).

With my 2V and 3.73s, I do a second gear burnout until the tires smoke for about 5-10 seconds (maybe excessive, but FUN!) and then launch @ about 4K and slip the clutch.

Second and third don't spin much, but I probably have alot less power than you.

I know, my post was useless. Thank you, drive through.

-Pat

p.s. Maybe you just need to drive them around town for a while and get them "broken in" (like someone else mentioned). I bought mine used and they had about 200 miles, and three or four passes on them--so they were already broken in for me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My last two passes I did the burn out through the water in second gear. The tires may just need to be broke in I don't know. It is hard for me to believe guys pull the front wheels off the ground with DR's after running mine last night. It has to be the track or I need to break them in properly.

They did improve my et three tenths down the track but the 60 stayed the same. ..... With that in mind how about some bench racing?? 13.0 with a 2.1 60 was my time, if I get it down to a 1.8 will I be running 12.50s ?? And if so is that a normal time for a car with these mods??

Jason.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Sounds like a slick track to me. My first three passes with new BFG's on an unprepped track yielded sixty foot times of 1.94, 1.93, and 1.92.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JohnnyReb :

Did you drive around on them before you went to the track??
How did you do the launch when you got the 1.9s ??

Thanks. Jason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts