Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a dyno and I have 330RWHP and 362RWTQ. My combo is a 331 w/10.25:1 compr. edelbrock performer rpm heads stage 3 ported, an X-cam, 1.6 roller rockers a performer air-gap intake and a 700 holley DP. I have 1 3/4 Mac long tubes going through the prochamber out flowmasters. It is a 5 speed manual. I though I would be able to get around 400RWHP. Does 330RWHP sound like its not enough or is just me?

Any comments appreciated!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Is it a Perfomer Air Gap or Performer RPM Air Gap? I'd think you'd at least want the RPM if not a Victor Jr. What rpm did peak rwhp occur at?

I'll assume your Stg III RPM heads are at least as good as my 185cc AFR's stock. We've got about the same compression yet your X303 is alot milder in duration than my 232/240 @ .050" .566"/.557" 111LC Ed Curtis cam. I guess that would be my first area where I'd try to make an improvement - more cam.

That and making sure the correct intake is used for the goal. If 400rwhp is what you want I'd say Victor Jr port matched to heads and a camshaft of at least ~ 230 @ .050" intake duration.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have seen one or two x cammed strokers making 350 rwhp. You should have some flow numbers for those heads. Please post them. Also what size exhaust after the header. What is your timing also.

I would think a carb motor would by up on the HP a little more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Streetpower. Your combo doesn't match. Heads are better than you cam and intake. Get the Victor Jr intake and then call Ed Curtis and get a custom cam for you combo. Have your flow numbers ready to tell him.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My heads flow 270. It is a performer rpm air gap intake. I have a Victor jr that is matched to my heads but I was told not to use it because my car will be a dog downlow in the rpm's. I am doing autocrossing with this car that is why I wanted more torque. Do you guys think I should slap the vic jr back on or will I be dogging down low? I really was expecting 400RWHP but I was told that this is about all I will get.(by the guys at the dyno) They told me to go to anderson and get a cam from them....is that curtis cam better than the anderson cams?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The air gap RPM makes within 10 horespower of the victor jr, and more torque according to some dyno results i have seen. I would keep it, and get a better cam.
Just my .02

·
Registered
735 Posts
deffnitly ditch the cam somthing in the area of 240 250 deg of dur @ 50 and 575 to 600 on the lift you'll make more power . the tfs stg 3 cam would work well with your set up and it will make power till about 6500 rpm. as far as the intake i think the vic jr is going to make more power but your torque peak will move up and it may make a bit less peak torque but the eng will make more hp .i run a vic jr on my 332 and it has plenty of low end for what it is like 300 ft lbs @ 3400 rpm and peaks at 5300 with 365 ftlbs

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Not sure if you need a cam as large as everyone is saying, especially for autocrossing. But I would consider a cam change before anything else. Do yourself a favor and talk to someone who grinds them:

HiTech
Ed Curtis
Buddy Wrawls (sp)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts