Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to pick up an 88 EXFHP notch that has been sitting for over three years, when I got to the house the owner had the car started it sounded fine, he said it was the first time in a long time the car had been started, after a short drive the car began to over heat, we popped the hood and coolant was coming out of the radiator cap, do you think its the water pump, does the cooling system just need a flush? what should I look for? thanks guys, sorry for the basic question.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what?? could this be something more serious than a long over due flush???

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
sounds like one of the symptoms of a blown head gasket. could also be a number of different things. You will only knwo if you buy the car and start tearing thigns apart and checking them out.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
If the car is nice other than the overheating offer him $1000
It is most likley something simple. but It could be a headgasket.
That is not that big of a deal

Tim

·
Registered
346 Posts
My guess would be a stuck thermostat,sounds like it has rusted close!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If a car has been sitting that long theres other things to look at.

Example : If a car has been sitting for over 6 months, odds are the valve springs on the car are now weaker than ever. The rockers that were in the down position, create a "Set" on those springs.

Also a car thats been sitting that long has a tendancy to have the thermostat stick (Which sounds like your problem).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im going to pick up a 180 T today, the car is in great shape, never been hit, everything works, even the ac blows cold, thanks guys for the help, im soure I will have several other dumb questions, one more thing how could I tell if its a headgasket, is there a quick easy way? thanks again

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not always will the oil or exhaust tell a faulty head gasket or a compression test. I had one with a slit in it on one of the head alignment dowels, and it showed no symptoms until at 180* it would start pushing water. Compression was fine and no coolant in exhaust or oil or vice versa. But hey thats just my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts